BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
A lot of people will use mono only for backing, however a few years ago I started to put a coat of paraffin wax on the spool to help prevent corrosion and then wrap a piece of flexx wrap tape, non abrassive and keeps line from slipping.

Just google flexx wrap.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
I've heard of guys using athletic tape as well. I personally stick with mono for backing.
Tape is too much of a pain in the A## to remove from the spool after you need to respool speaking from person experience, The glue gets all over the spool especially when it gets wet , heated up from the sun . I would stick with mono backing only.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I use electrical tape. Works well.... Wrap the braid around the spool a few times then stretch the electrical tape around it tight.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
The other disadvantage to tape is where the tape is cut it tends to leave a slightly magnified bulge in the line on the reel,..it may just be cosmetic but it bothered me so again I stick with mono backing.. If you fish alot You have to have extra spools of mono laying around. I have a small waterproof box filled with short spools of mono from 8lb -40 lb mono.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
9,923 Posts
Some of my reels have mono for backing, some have hockey tape and I have some that have the foam strips that come with PP. They all seem to work just fine for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.