BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a brand new LDXS on Thursday to try to get a little more distance on my casts. Went to Brigatine on Sat with a couple of guys from my club to work out the bugs. On the 3rd cast, I hooked up with a nice sized skate. The rod handled great up until the thing broke in half 4 " above the reel seat.:eek: Now the big question is do I replace the rod with a similar one and hope that it was a manufacturers defect, or go with a different rod. I was pleased with the feel of the rod and felt that I got extra distance out of it, but will I get gun shy about getting another large fish on? When I stopped @ RipTide to show the guy, he said he never saw a rod break that way. Any body have any input on this rod? Thanks, Joe.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I am assuming you treated the rod like gold for the two days before you used it. So under that assumption you got a bad blank. It happens sometimes but I would not be worried about replacing it with the exact same model. The LDX is made by a great company who stands behind their product.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gilly, the funny thing is that I never even looked at the rod before I went to the beach. I took it out of the bag that morning, no hits, bangs, or dings. Joe.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have been using my LDX for a year with no problem. Most of the guys I know have one too, and they have no problem. I have heard of a couple breaking, but Breakaway replaced the rod for them, and they never had more trouble with the new rods.

I would not have a worry about getting a new one, I have seen many big fish come in on these rods this spring, with out a hitch.:)

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Bigguy, I build my own rods, and it is an unfortunate fact that from time to time this happens: you got a dud of a blank. It happens to all manufacturers, and unfortunately there's no way to tell, from visual inspection, that the rod is going to break. It looks fine, and then pop, you have a multi-piece rod. Like I said, it happens to all rod manufacturers, and Breakaway will surely replace it for you.

If you liked the rod before, I would get a replacement and not even think about it. I'm not a huge fan of Breakaway products - I think that the importance of being able to cast for distance in the surf is wildly overrated - but despite that I would advise you not to penalize them for something that happens to all blank manufacturers. And don't think that one bad blank is representative of the others: due to the technical methods that are used to produce modern graphite blanks, an occasional dud is inevitable. But the other ones will peform great.

I recently read a report from a guy who spent almost a thousand dollars on components for a custom tarpon fly rod, including a $500 blank from a very high-end manufacturer (I won't say which one). This guy is an ace rod-builder, and put together a mean fishing tool. And on his client's first day out fishing with it - bam, it split in two. Nobody was happy about it, but it goes to show that it happens, and not just to junk blanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
broken rod

joe don't know whats more believable , the rod braking or you hooking something.........................haha:D :D haha........just kidden joe see ya in LBI.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to Rich and he is going to replace the rod.Keppy, maybe it was the shock of feeling something move on the end of the rod that made me do a power stroke and snap it!! FishBucket........Whats a drag?????:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
ldx

you might want to go with some of the custom breakAW blanks,and build or have built. 1507,08,09, these blanks have alot less failure rate than the new lighted up ldxs.:confused:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B8 KASTER said:
you might want to go with some of the custom breakAW blanks,and build or have built. 1507,08,09, these blanks have alot less failure rate than the new lighted up ldxs.:confused:
The one thing that saved the day when the rod broke was that I did not make that rod. I would probable wonder what I did wrong instead of thinking the obvious, that the blank was defective. I have the new rod ready for a trip to Brigatine this afternoon.:) Joe.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Phil. no problem at all. I got the rod from Digital Daggers, and Rich was right on top of things. The new one is still waiting to be christened.:D Hopefully,not a repeat!:eek: Joe.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Bigguy said:
Phil. no problem at all. I got the rod from Digital Daggers, and Rich was right on top of things. The new one is still waiting to be christened.:D Hopefully,not a repeat!:eek: Joe.
A company that stands behind it's product and takes care of the customers, is a rare and VERY GOOD company.

Kudo's to Rich and Phil for being on the ball with Good customer Service!

PS Big Guy, That rod has a rating that is neceassary to stay in.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NJFisher, thanks for the info. I had only 3 casts on the blank when it broke. I have to agree with you about good service, plus it helps that Rich is local and really helps out with all the ASAC clubs and tournaments. Joe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts