BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new rig with new 250 Suzikis, what kind of break in period is there with this type of engine, ive always been a diesel guy. Do I have to change filters right away, stay under a certain RPM etc etc etc.... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Read your owners manual. I find it hard to beleive your dealer did not go over the breakin instructions with you at the time of the purchase. I have mine for a 115hp sitting next to me but it may not be the same for your engine so I am hesiatant to post. I beleive at 30 hours all zukes go back to the dealer for a checkup.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sure he will, im jumping the gun, dont pick up the boat till end of April. Just have an itchy trigger finger...:)

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
My buddy had one. If I remeber right, he couldn't go over like 3000 for 20 hrs. Then had to pull the boat and get it serviced. Then was able to run it normal, but had to pull it again at 100 hrs. He was pi$$ed because he had to take his boat out twice during the season. I told him he should have got an Etec:D

·
Registered
8,087 Posts
BigSexy said:
My buddy had one. If I remeber right, he couldn't go over like 3000 for 20 hrs. Then had to pull the boat and get it serviced. Then was able to run it normal, but had to pull it again at 100 hrs. He was pi$$ed because he had to take his boat out twice during the season. I told him he should have got an Etec:D
wish contenders came with them:):):)....

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
I would think your dealer should've went over all this with you.:rolleyes:
bigeye joe said:
Just got a new rig with new 250 Suzikis, what kind of break in period is there with this type of engine, ive always been a diesel guy. Do I have to change filters right away, stay under a certain RPM etc etc etc.... Thanks in advance

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guy, NOOO they are not Yahmis, they are SUZIKIS and I havent taken posession of boat YET. fROM WHAT iM HEARING THEY ARE GREAT PREFORMING ENGINES......... We shall see soon enough

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
bigeye joe said:
Thanks guy, NOOO they are not Yahmis, they are SUZIKIS and I havent taken posession of boat YET. fROM WHAT iM HEARING THEY ARE GREAT PREFORMING ENGINES......... We shall see soon enough
I'm sorry I was talking to Carl when I asked if it was a Yammi. The suzukis are great engines. My friend had one and it was excellent. Another friend has one on his 25 parker and he runss it everyday for charters. Just didn't like how it had to be taken from the water for service at 20 hrs and 100 hrs, and not being able to run it full out for the first 20

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
They only receomend the oil filter get changed every 200 hours so many guys now have bought the portable oil pumps and just change the oil in 15 minutes at the slip. I pull mine every hundered at the Brigantine boat ramp. Change it in the parking lot and drop it right back in. Takes 10 minutes. I like to take advantage of the pull to inspect the boat. Its real nice to know that ive got six quarts in there ,at all times, lubricating. I had four different two strokes sieze on me through the years. I shudder at the thought that a few drops of 2 -stroke oil every couple seconds is preventing my investment from melting. Non of mine where e-tecs however. So far so good with those motors.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a 140, and I believe the break in time was 10 hours. Kept it under 4K, and did not keep it at a steady speed (throttled it up and down). It went back at 20 hours for a service, that was it as I recall(it's been a couple of years). Your engines are bigger and I'm sure not 4 cylinders like mine, so it may be different.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
All outboards that require a breakin are usually recommended by the factory is ten hours. I've always doubled that when I broke in any new engine. I would never drop the hammer on an outboard for more than 30 seconds to 1 minute until they have 15hrs on them. I won't run them over 4500 for the 6-10hr range for more than 2-3 minutes without changing throttle position. Most of my break in time is in the 3500-4500rpm range with short blasts to wide open.

Full throttle hole shots are one of the best ways to seat the rings. Heavy short lived loads getting the boat on plane are what I've always done. Just don't let the rpms climb over 4000 in the first 5hrs and 5000 in the second 5hrs. Break-in is what I call your money hours. What's the rush? It's not like you are not out on the boat.. Take it easy, you got the rest of the engines life to run it wide open.

Yes, don't ignore that 10-20hr(per your engine's owner's manual) check either. Oil change with a "filter" and the gearcase lube..

And the first meathead that tells you to break it in hard for it's best performance tell him to lay down 15-18K and you'll break it in his way..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts