BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a large weighted treble hook for a bridge gaff. I know how to set it up with a clip about 10inces in front of the hooks. What I have been strugglin with is the set up. I see guys on the bridges that have a container attached to some sort of Utility belt and it seems to make things alot easier to handle by yourself. I have a spool that I keep on the ground in front of me and am always fumbling for it when I need it most and it tangles terribly after I pull the fish up. Does anyone have a better way?

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
jc,
I just have my line rolled up and tied off on a thin block of wood and bury one of the trebs in the line and stick the other end in my back pocket,it doesn't seem to be a problem with any tangles and its out of my way when I use it...

One thing I would like to mention though,is if Stripers are your target off bridges,you might want to invest in a good bridge net..

With today's regulations and for the release of Bass,its alot more fish friendly then a potential deadly gaff....

[ 07-25-2005, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you put weights on your bridge net? Reason I shy away usually is because the bridges i usually fish are very high and it seems very difficult to work the net by yourself.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
jc,
yes you can add some sinkers to make it easier
to work below..The fish pictured was taken 75' below me,it does take some time to get use to doing it yourself. But It's Cool...

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Get the net, use a 7oz sinker on the bottom w/ a shower clip.

You're never go back to a bridge gaff again.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
jc, you're better off going with a net. Not only for what is best for the stripers you catch, but I've seen some nasty accidents occur with those bridge gaffs. One guy not being careful left his line close to the roadway on the bridge. A car came by and pulled the line enough and his gaff was embedded in his calf. Not a pretty site. Luckily the line didn't get entangled on the car because his leg would have been torn off.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
There is nothing like the gaff. First off, you have to down size the trebles if you don't want to hurt the smaller fish. 5/0 to 7/0 extra strongs can haul up a twenty pounder with no problem and they do little damage to a fish then adding another small prick. You then need to improvise a wire/clip off the bottom of these trebles for the weight to hang. I use 100lb galvanized wire. I use a bucket to store the line in and clip the hook onto the side. The line comes out untangled and goes right back in during the lift. If the fish is a throw back the fish goes in the bucket and is lowered down to the water.

This simple system has worked well over the last 4 years. The bridge net, in my opinion is to cumbersome and restricts mobility, which is essential to bridge fishing.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Good Point and Info Bill,,,
I have always felt this way as well,never used a net,but switched over just last year.I still bring my gaff(you know for the one that doesn't fit in the net)...
I was a pretty good lip gaffer,but decided not to chance it with any borderline fish.
And I would suggest to the NEW or In-Experienced
Bridge Fishermen to go with a Net...

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all good info. I was looking however for more info on a belt and container to keep it organized. I have seen set ups where people actually have a crank on the utility belt to reel it up like a fishing reel. Looks good just don't know how to build such a set up. Nothing worse than pulling up a fish on the gaff and spending the next 15 minutes straightening out the bridge gaff so you can fish again.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I hold mine in a piece of PVC pipe with a cap glued to the bottom and the top id loose with a piece of rope attached so it doesn't get lost. I spool the rope to a small piece of pvc pipe. I clip the housing with a carabineer to my belt. If I get a chance I'll post a pic.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I always thought those dog walking leshes that are on the little pulley and extend out 25 or 50ft and retract would work, if you could get a strong enough line in them. The chore of line maintainence would be as simple as pushing a button.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use the net also. I just get it ready and unraveled before I start fishing in case I have to net the fish myself. (Learned that the hard way) :rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts