BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Could someone tell me why Brigantine does not allow AWD vehicles on the beach? It is the same as a 4x4 vehicle. The other beaches like SIC do not have a problem with it. I have an AWD Ford Edge and wanted to obtain a permit in Brigantine

Thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
With 4x4, the 4 wheel drive is constantly engaged. There are many variations with awd. Usually the back wheels have to sleep in order for the front axles to engage to make it awd. By than depending on the sand conditions you can dig yourself pretty quickly. Awd is mainly for everyday drivers that encounter rain and snow. Not made for off road, where the beach is considered. There are a lot of compact cars that are awd that wouldn't do well on the beach. So to avoid confusion the town probably just drew the line where no awd allowed. I have seen subarus on the beach where they are awd and do fine in brigantine but would have a possible problem in IBSP where the sand is softer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I have a permit for SIC and haven't had a problem. I'm gonna apply for the permit and see what happens

Thanks

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
Thanks. I have a permit for SIC and haven't had a problem. I'm gonna apply for the permit and see what happens

Thanks
post on what Brigantine's response is and how your AWD handled the beach. I have AWD mountaineer and would like to get a beach pass.

·
Registered
13,766 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you don't check the "I have a 4WD" box, they won't give you the pass.

That said, I'm also pretty sure if you say you have a 4WD and yet really have an AWD, they won't check either...otherwise I have no idea how some of the vehicles on the beach got their pass.

Many, I believe, just think they have 4WD when their vehicle says clearly AWD.... thinking it's the same.

At any rate, it's still up to the individual, and if you get stuck, be equipped and able to get yourself out, unlike the one or two (it's "or two" because I'm not sure one was even an AWD, possibly a FWD) AWD's I saw stuck who didn't belong there. Look up the NJBBA's recommended beach driving checklist and have those items in your vehicle.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
also be forewarned that if you get stuck and the police get involved you may get a ticket when they see you have awd not 4x4.
not sure if they would ticket you but it is a distinct possibility knowing brigantine.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This year in particular, they are really letting you know that you must have a 4 wheel drive (not awd) to get a permit. This may be as Bucket said, to ticket you if you get stuck. As most people know, many times the reason why you get stuck is not so much the vehicle but the driver. Past (bad) experiences may be the reason. BTW, I saw an officer last week actually stop to check for a permit. He got out of his vehicle and went up to the owner who was fishing. Both walked back to the vehicle and the officer left shortly thereafter. Apparently he had one but it wasn't visable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts