BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on heading down to Brigantine for the first time ever this Friday, July 29th through the 31st. I won't be fishing much but might get a few hours to wet a line from the shore. I have a few questions:

- I was wondering if there are any locations that I could safely park my truck and fish the inlet?

- I planned on bringing jigs and spoons from 1/2 oz up to 2 oz and fishing them on 10 lb gear. Do I need anything heavier or is this sufficient?

-We also planned on going to the oceanfront beach in Brigantine for swimming, sun bathing, etc. Is there a good chance of catching anything there on small jigs and spoons? Any fluke in the surf or are they sparse down on the oceanfront beaches?

-Have there been any snappers down there and if so what size?

-Finally, is Brigantine Inlet accessible, and worth fishing, or do you need to have four wheel drive access?

You see, my thought is that I would try for small blues and fluke on the relatively light 10 lb test, medium freshwater gear. Up near Sandy Hook, where I usually fish, I have taken a good amount of blue and fluke using this gear and these tactics. I love fluke fishing and would enjoy catching a few from the inlet or the beach. Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. While not really a fishing trip, as more time will be spent with the family, I wouldn't mind catching a few fish. Thank you.

Phil Metz
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
jasper, Mnay questions could be answered by just looking at a map on the wall of my surf/kayak shop. Stop by on the corner of 1oth street south.
yes fluke fishing off the beach with a bucktail and squid strip can be very effective here.
Note that kayaks are allowed on all our beaches all day long. If you have access to one you might want to bring it along.
Barrell

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Barrel,

My brother-in-law has two kayaks but crazy as this may sound, he doesn't want to bring them because of the limited time we'll have for fishing. The party consists of my sister, my brother-in-law, my niece (6 yrs), nephew (2 yrs), my girlfriend and myself. Most of our time will be spent tooling around on the beach, eating, sight seeing, etc. Fishing would be done early in the morning or later in the evening. Thanks again for the info. I'll try to stop by and say hello.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Phil,
I would bring All of the Above that you mentioned fishing with up at the Hook...
Plenty of places to wet a line for a few...
I'm sure BayRat and Barrell will set you up as to where...

Good Luck and Have A Great Time....

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Someone on another board stated that I'd have more success going for kingfish than summer flounder/fluke in the surf. Would you guys say that is true?

What I'm really getting at is that I know if I hit the Sandy Hook surf right now and fished 1/2 oz bucktails or bait rigs I'd pick up fluke, sundials, sea robins and a couple bluefish. However, fishing a few years back on the ocean front beaches of Chincoteague, VA yielded nothing using the same gear and tactics. I can't explain why but it was like the barren surf down there.

Now never fishing the Brigantine surf, I wonder if it is worth making the effort going for fluke or if, like Chincoteague, I should just concentrate on the inlet and backwater areas around Brigantine. Thanks.

Phil
[email protected]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Phil, I just sent you a email with some additional info for you...

·
Registered
614 Posts
In Brig it's about wind direction & MPH! SW @15 usually means dirty water & weed along the inlet on the Brig side! The jetty area can be bad with SW also! I would suggest the AC side of the inlet with SW,it can be cleaner, and fishing off the brdwlk is nice @ high tide! People are afraid of AC for some reason, but it's really nice these days you'd be surprised. I fish from my bike in the mornings somtimes, its loaded with structure. Easy to fish from and perfectly safe. Night time it's lit up like you can't believe! There are plenty of fish around, finding clean water and bait is the key!If your gonna fish the inlet, go light, throw up tide, and let the tide present it keeping the slack out with the reel, let it swing back, and start over. Trying to fish stationary on the inlet is mostly weed collecting, not to say fish haven't been caught that way! We have been catching little flounder that way from land in Brig for a while now, even with the heavy weekend jet ski and boat traffic. Early is key on weekends in Brig. you won't believe the zoo by mid day. I saw a keeper flattie this morning, on a tiny bluefish live lined, hint hint!! good luck JG

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My brother-in-law said something about jetties jutting out into the inlet from the AC side. Since I've never been there before, are these accessable to anglers and legal to fish from? Leaving tomorrow morning for Brigantine. Should be a nice weekend. Thanks all.

Phil
[email protected]

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
There are jetties on the brig side that are legal to fish, but be careful, and its a pretty long walk to get to them with all the gear. On the AC side there is a nice steel bulkhead you can drive right up to and fish from. I've had good luck there years ago. To get there from Brig you have to go pretty far into AC to get around the marinas, hang a left towards the beach, then hang another left and hit the inlet. Theres a bait shop in Brig right before going over the bridge to AC. They can give you the directions. I'd give the "Old Brig Bridge" a try though. Good luck.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I'm back from Brigantine and really didn't fish all that much. Lots of weeds and debris floating around made for impossible fishing. I didn't try fishing the beach but probably should have. I'm curious as to how far the Brigantine Inlet is from the observatory entrance (northern entrance) to the beach and if it is considered navigable or not. I wish I would have had more time to explore there.

As for fishing, I only managed to catch snapper blues, a few sea bass and a skate. I really didn't notice that many spots available to fish the bay side of Brigantine and wasn't too thrilled with fishing AC. Maybe next year I'll have better success. Thanks again fro the info guys.

[ 08-01-2005, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: pmjasper ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts