BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out with my buddy yesterday around 830 out of sea bright. Read some bait on our way to the back bay so I threw the net and got a few bunker. We read some fish and decided to post up. Only had one bite before we lost the tide and decided to go on the troll. Within 5 minutes we hooked up with a 22 inch throwback. We made our way further back and started reading a lot more bait so we made a second drop. 20 minutes later we were bent and landed a 34 inch 15 pounder on a bunker chunk. Love this time of year!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Great report... Yes, definitely great time of year!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
390 Posts
You guys got my juices flowing. I should be in the water before next weekend. I just have to paint the metals, put the props on and fire up the engines.

Good report!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Closer to the hook or rr bridge. Just trying to figure out where to put the boat in.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Fish that were at the hook in the morning can be at the rr bridge in the afternoon. These fish are not setteled in, they will move fast.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Do they settle in any one spot. I know they go up river to spawn. When does that usually happen? When doe the onslaught usually end?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Frankly all the focus on "where the fish are" is one of the biggest misunderstandings. To me I take yesterdays bite with a grain of salt. Its nice to know fish are in my part of the state but other than that areas can go hot or cold in less than an hour. The best intel is real time and at the start of a good bite.( Thats when real friends will call you! )

Since you asked...... Pre spawn bass move fast and with this cold winter the bass are late so they should be moving very fast. Post spawn fish will focus on bait concentrations and water temperature.

Our typical seasons start with a good shot at pre-spawn fish. Then a lull when a lot of the bass are up river. Then another shot at post spawn fish as they focus on bait along the coast. As water temps rise most of the bass move north to cooler summer locations. All of this is the simplified, condensed explanation.

I almost deleted this post because I don't want to preach but Ill leave it to maybe help somebody out at the risk of sounding like a know-it-all. At this time of year you can move around to try an find a concentration or you can stay in traditionally good areas and wait for some to move in. Just don't expect the fish to be where somebody caught them two days before.

And while I'm on the soapbox be considerate with fish you catch and release, no on deck body slams please. Thats it, I'm done

·
Registered
275 Posts
Big ron thanks for the education. I definitely learned something with that post that I didnt know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.