BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broke my favorite rod last nite while fishing in
cape may ,, no not on a fish,, just snapped it on a cast ,, amazing ,, my buddy said that the rod didn't owe me anything ,, which is true ,, but it was my favorite ,, 7'6" tidewater medium - fast action,, i hav two but this one was nicer ,, tip a little quicker ,, i guess i musta dinged it on somrthing ,, anybody else have this happen , rod was about 6 years old

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
loosedrag snapped a tidemaster on a striper this spring. The rod stayed together but it splintered just above where the cork starts.
It was only a 16-18 pounds fish, but when he put extreme pressure on it the thing snapped

I watched it blow apart! :eek:

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
it happens sometimes. sometimes a sinker bounces into them. alot of reasons..at least you got good use out of it

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Originally posted by paul708:
it happens sometimes. sometimes a sinker bounces into them. alot of reasons..at least you got good use out of it
Paul's right, we always take off all tackle. Bucktails, weights, lures ect!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Send in to St. Croix anyway, you never know, they might still replace it even though the warranty is up. Companies like Shimano and Penn do it.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Call them and they will instruct on how to return it.
At the very least they will offer a replacement at cost. (About 60% off)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Hey Joe, I have that same stick. In fact I have 7 St. Croix's. I bet if you mention to them you have more than that rod (since you do) they will take care of you.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The same thing happened to a buddy of mine while fishing in the NJ Angler Tournament last year. He had the same exact rod that you have. I dont think he contacted St. Croix, but it snapped when he was casting.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have that same rod. It is awesome. If it makes you feel any better, I was grappling to the jetty two weeks ago and caught my custom 7 footer with an international 975 in the rope and over it went. My favorite rod, which I had for 8 years.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I have never in all my years ever seen a rod blow up or snap. That includes offshore rods and everything else. I have a 13 year old ugly stick that looks like its close though, but it just keeps on ticking.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Uglysticks are titanium. I closed one in my garage door and bent it in half and still did not break it. I guess I can say the same. I have not seen a rod go on a cast, however if graphite gets a good enogh nick in the blank it can happen.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had a similar situation a few years back with a Tidemaster version. out of warranty, I broke the rod (my fault), and St. Croix sent me back a 60% of slip for a new rod. Couldn't ask for more than that.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have a 3 piece tidemaster. When the line broker after catching the wreck the top piece went flying into the ocean. St Croix rebuilt it for no charge.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys ,, i will contact them and send it back ,, whats the worst that could happen ,, i was out looking for a replacement today ,, anybody try the loomis greenwater series,, Andy , I wish you had been with us the other nite ,, you coulda taken a photo of the coyote ,, to go with your fox pic

·
Registered
8,643 Posts
Call the customer service dept. You'd be surprised what the will do to keep you as a customer.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Originally posted by FISHCOUNSELOR:
Thanks guys ,, i will contact them and send it back ,, whats the worst that could happen ,, i was out looking for a replacement today ,, anybody try the loomis greenwater series,, Andy , I wish you had been with us the other nite ,, you coulda taken a photo of the coyote ,, to go with your fox pic
The Greenwater series is a nice line of rods. I use a lot of the G Loomis Spin Jig series rods for backwater fishing. They can't be beat in my opinion. Some may cost a little more than the St Croix, but ALL Loomis rods have a lifetime warranty.
Good luck with the broken rod, I've heard good and bad stories when dealing with St Croix.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts