BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, now that I have a spot behind NWW, I have a question about back bay fishing in general. whats the standard bucktail to use back there? Color, weight and trailer?

Also, Whenever It gets dark, the topwater bite seems to slow down, or shut down. What is a good night fishing bait. Bucktails? bombers? swim shads?
Thanks for any tips, and I'll post a report tomorrow night.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Bucktail:

It all depends where you are fishing from. Are you fishing from a sod bank, bridge, jetty???? If you are down that way I can only imagine the spot. Generally somewhere in the 3/8 to 1/2 range sometimes lighter depending on depth and current. I have used up to an 1/8 at times when they are feeding on small stuff. Determine the bait, then determine the size of the lure. As an all around, go with a black bomber fished slow or a white/black bucktail with a pink, rainbow or natural trailer. The trailer can be a fin-s, zoom bait or whatever. E-mail me if you would like me to expand further.

Later

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Bucktail3 - BucktailWillie is one of the real experts here on bucktailing the back bays so hopefully he will post in when he sees your question.

Being successful in the back depends on a lot of things, but in general I basically try to go as light in weight as possible - this is based on the noton that back bay fish are often in shallow water and are feeding on the top - but sometimes this even isn't true. For fish that are feeding on tiny silversides or anchovies, smaller bucktails from 1/2 down to 1/8 ounce will work. If there is bigger bait around then sometimes bigger buctails work - but the bigger the bucktails you will often need either deeper water to work or you'll be only targeting fish feeding on the bottom. This is why to a large extent we throw plugs in the back- they mimick the larger bait and stay on the surface in shallow water. Sassys are nice because you can throw heavier, bigger ones and because when they swim they ride higher due to their resistance in the water. You have to play around going back and forth between bucktails, plugs and rubber jigs for a while until you learn which works given place, tide, wind, depth and what the fish want at certian times of day, night, month and year - sounds like alot but it ain't so difficult to figure out and you'll sure have fun while your figuring it out.

Bill Halpin

[ 11-27-2004, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Ardmore Bill ]

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Ardmore gave you some excellent advice,the thing about inside striper fishing is DON"T get locked into one lure or one method.
Lighter the lure the better but at this time of the year you need to make sure it is on the bottom.
Outgoing tides and mouths of small creeks have been most productive for me
AT night,black bomber can't be beat but I've seen nights where it didn't work and a 3/8/ pink bucktail with pink twister tail did.
You have to figure what they are feeding on,if you see peanut bunker ,there is nothing better than a rattletrap,spearing and shrimp bucktails seem to do the trick
If you are in what you think is good location ,keep changing lures and colors.
Lately the bite has been best when lightly jigging with most of the bites on the drop back
IF slow trolling also jig the lure a little and drop back
Shassy Shads work best for me early in the fall and don't seem to be as productive for me in colder water
Night bite will have bass rising off the bottom and a good depth finder is a huge asset
One more thing,past 2 weeks it seems the bass have mostly been in deeper water instead of the shallows they were biting best in Oct
EXPERIMENT but DON'T GET LOCKED IN--
GOOD LUCK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.