BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
do you swim them along the bottom, or drag them on the bottom, like slow crawling a worm for large mouths in the dead of summer? I have never consistently and successfully fished them, except for Mahi on the pots when you work them fast. Any and all help appreciated

·
Registered
897 Posts
jig them as they ride on bottom.try different speeds and try slow jigs and fast.see what works.different day might me different way.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
In dirty water, I tie direct to the bucktail. In clean water, I use a short flouro leader with a barrel swivel above.

In my experience, you need to jig the bucktail to get a strike (deeper water), dragging along bottom (Rips) and slow crawl when fishing from the beach or rockpiles (shallows).

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Originally posted by snichols:
In dirty water, I tie direct to the bucktail. In clean water, I use a short flouro leader with a barrel swivel above.

In my experience, you need to jig the bucktail to get a strike (deeper water), dragging along bottom (Rips) and slow crawl when fishing from the beach or rockpiles (shallows).
That's what I have found as well!!!
Good info Steve....

I will use the 6 ouncers when bucktailing fluke in heavy current and to get staight to the
bottom when those yellow eyed demons are around.

Here is a 6.5 pound fluke that took a 3 ounce glow spro tipped with a strip of herring.

Here is another fluke that took a 2 ounce chartruse spro tipped with a sand eel.

Both of those fish were pool winners!!

And here is a 20 plus striper that took an andrus 1.5 ounce bucktail tipped with a chartruse hypertail.

I love bucktails!!!! :D

Right Mullaney ;)

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
For rips fishing 20# fluro leader your choice of lenght blood knoted to the main line and the bucktail as attached to the leader via loop knot. With the blood knot you can make you leader really long that way if you lose a bucktail from a bluefish or your leader starts to look sketchy you can cut and simply re-tie a new jig on without having to make up a new leader. It is also nice because you can reel the bucktail all the way up to the rod tip if you want and you don't have to worry about a barrel swivel screwing up the eyes of the pole!

;)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Originally posted by striper2278:
18" of 30lb Fluro leader.

75lb barrel swivel.

1oz white Andrus rip splitter

(I'm talking about fishing the rips here)

1 oz is all you'll ever need!
"I'll drink to that"!!! :D ;)

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Bill,

And you have....many times. :D ;)

Soon, we'll be out there for our Sunday "get togethers"....looking forward to it.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Tie mine directly, using moss green power pro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.