BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get a poll on this, I tie my 10 lb. test line right on to my bucktail when flounder fishing in the back waters and never had and problems with the line getting cut or destoyed by a flounder I know blues are a diferent story when thier biting back there, do you guys all use floracarbon leader to tie the bucktail on, and what kind of knot do you use to attach the line to the leader? Thanks. Maybe Ill start using it, sometimes if a big flounder inhales the bucktail its teeth could cut the line.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use 20 lb power pro, smallest spro swivel available, 3 feet of 15lb. flourocarbon leader and attach my bucktail to that with a nonslip mono loop.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
i use 20 lb flouro leader tied to 10-12 lb mono on my med rod with a spro swivel

tip it with a minnow man they love it when ya bounce it up n down !!

[ 02-03-2005, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Sea Devil ]

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I USE 20 POUND POWER PRO WITH A SPRO SWIVEL AND A FLURO LEADER AT LEAST 15-20 LB.I DO THIS WHEN FISHING LIVE BAIT BUT NEVER TRIED IT WITH A BUCKTAIL.THIS YEAR I WILL BE USING BUCKTAILS ALOT. READ THE THREAD I POSTED IN THE TACKEL BOX ABOUT POWER PRO--THESE GUYS PROVIDED ME SOME GOOD INFO.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
I use 30lb PP with a 20lb Fluro leader. I use a small spro swivel to connect the two together. I use a uni-knot to connect the bucktail to the fluro. I will also leave the tag end from the fluro long at the swivel an add a teaser. Yes, I have caught flounder on the teaser.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
fluro is stiff when it comes to some brands.I love vanish from berkely.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use 8 or 10 pound fireline or pp with a little 15 lb leader I'll step it up a bit if the blues are in thick. Personally, i have had my best luck with bt's tipped with twister tails, the go nutz over em. usually, howerver i use a shrimp jighead with a little white twisty tail. Those flounder love em, its nice to go with the light braided line though, so easy to feel em grab the lure as it falls down.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
For my back bay flounder fishing I use 10 lb Fireline to a mono leader. Tried fluro and never liked it. I use 15 - 30 lb test mono depending on if the blues are around.

I know everyone swears by fluro but I look at my history of flounder fishing. Forty years ago me and my dad were catching tons of flounder and we were using 40 lb mono leaders. I'm talking about the old mono that was anything but clear and we nailed fish all the time.

I know it's a leader. You know it's a leader but the fish has no idea that it's a leader. Why worry about the leader. If a fish is that good it should be able to see that big hook sticking out of the minnows head.

I use two rigs when flounder fishing. One and my first choice is a bucktail. Next is a simple single hook rig when the flounder don't seem to want a big target. Thats why I always use a snap swivel. One snap and I can change rigs in a second. Also and I see this all the time. As you drift you come into contact with suspended weeds. These weeds will hang on your line and slowly slide down until something stops it. By using a snap swivel it will intercept the weeds and prevent them from sliding down to the bucktail.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I think simpler is better. 20 lb moss PP directly to the bucktail with a palomar. If blues are around I'm targeting them (cause I like them better) with a different setup all together.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use 25lb Cabela's Ripcord SI and tie on a white 5/8 oz jig with a palomar knot. No need for flour, Mr. Flounder doesn't care.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, got some new ideas to try. Will have to thumb through my fishing catalogs and maybe order some more stuff to stuff in my takle box. I can here my wife now, more fishing stuff!

·
Registered
241 Posts
It's my favorite way to fish for fluke....I use a 30 or 40 pound leader. Nothing fancy either...just a decent spool of line that is used for reels. Ande, Trilene etc. Fluke aren't line shy IMHO...helps prevent bluefish bite offs too.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Like chunking told it. Fluke could care less about a leader. Sometimes tie direct (using mono) to bucktail & attach one of thoes rubber cored torpedo weights a few ft. above a "small" bucktail just to get it down enough when all they want is small.

·
Registered
154 Posts
white BT with a pink twist tail(we buy the 6" large mouth worms and cut the tails off) we then tip it with a piece of fish market shrimp--we get about 5 baits from a U-16. this works well for fluke and weakies--usually the smallest size you can hold with is good choice--NG

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
I picked up a couple packs of the New Saltwater Berkley Gulp power grubs to give them a test this Fluke season. I've had some luck with the dyed prepackaged squid strips so I figured I'g give them a shot. One thing is for sure that they stink!

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
i would listen to chunking saw him catch a 24 inch flounder using a sponge bob rod and reel combo from kmart the fish was bigger than the combo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts