BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use bucktails with a teaser tied above it. I have been using this type of rig and doing well. If you do how long is the leader that you use and how high above the leader do you tie the teaser? For the teaser I have been using a white bucktail with a red hook and a white bead. Lately I have caught more fish on the teaser then on my spro.

Thanks just looking for some new rigs.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
Hell yes! I use 30# Power Pro and a 4 foot leader with the teaser ties about 2.5 feet above. I use Surf Candies or Clousers for the teaser.

Adam & Skip love bucktails & teasers.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I've had decent success using a small (2-3 inch) deceiver 18-24" above the bucktail. Olive over white seems to be the most productive color for the deceiver when the water is relatively clear. Chartreuse over white if the water is cloudy

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DO you tie these teasers on dropper loops or is there another method that you use? I have also picked up some of the small spros that I will be trying to use for teasers. Has anyone ever tried them or would you rather just use the flies.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I only use a teaser when I'm missing fish on the big lure. Sometimes this is due to a lethargic bite or because my lure does not "match the hatch".

When using a teaser, I like to use a deceiver on a dropper loop. Usually black/yellow, olive/white or chartreuse and anything.

[ 07-14-2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: snichols ]

·
Registered
54 Posts
I use a teaser all the time. I make up leaders in advance, about 3 ft long with a dropper loop about 18 inches up. For surf, you may want to extend the leader to 4 ft. I tie the dropper with a fly--surf candy, deceiver, or clouser. For weakies in the bay, I put a 1/0 baitholder hook and use different colored grubs or small fin-s. With a jig head on the end with another colored plastic, you can keep switching around until you find the winning color. It has been very productive for me.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I caught my largest Red Drumfish down in OBX
in the Surf using a Bucktail(White)rigged with
a little rubber squid(Green)teaser.....
I don't use them all that much (Teasers)up here
in N.J.,but they do seem to work very well during
the Summer months from what I have seen....

Good Topic TSStriper, Thanks,,,,,

·
Registered
342 Posts
do you guys tie these teaers yourself, or can they be store bought? I would like to try this method, but I just dont have the time to learn how to tie my own flies. Any information would be great

·
Registered
789 Posts
TSS,

I make a dropper loop big enough for the teaser to go thru, that way it is easier to change size/color of the teaser especially if it's cold, dark or both.

Verse,

I tie my own flies, but any of the Barn sponsers that deal in fly fishing stuff would likely have them for sale.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Verse,

I tie some patterns, beg from those more accomplished and buy a few.

A plain 1/2 and 1/2 is very easy to tie and works well.

Come to the next SJCFA meeting on 7/20, you can probably pick up a few there.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Thanks for the pic, I'll have to learn to tie that knot! How far off the main line do you tie the teaser lure? It looks like it's only about 1-2 inches off.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I use this setup all the time. If you are looking to add these in a hurry or are not very good with your knots. I found a product at Dicks that connects to your leader and allows you to add another. It is real easy to use and I haven't had one fail me yet! I use these for a top hook on chrome balls, bucktails etc. Sometimes I use a plain hook with minnow other times I'll use a very light shad dart etc.. Keep your second hook as light as possible so it floats behind and above the bucktail! I get lots of fish off ogf this top hook! Good Luck.

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANKS for all the info. I will be out this Friday and Saturday using these rigs that I have been tying. I 'll let you know how I make out. I never knew that you could cut the dropper loop without any problems. That is good to know if the leader does not fit through the eye of the teaser. First I will try a spro glow bucktail with a white teaser with a red hook. I'll put a nice herring strip on the buckttail and tip the teaser with spearing. sound like a meal to me.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I have never tipped the teaser with bait but I'm sure it would work.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Reckoning,

I generally tie a loop for the teaser that is 2-3 inches long. If you cut one side of the loop and then tie the teaser on, this will leave the teaser 4-6 inches from your main line. If the loop for the teaser is too long, you can run into problems with the teaser tangling in your main line (especially if you are casting and retrieving the rig). The fish don't seem to mind the short loop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts