BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, Ive never really fished buck-tails I guess due to the fact that I'm fairly new to the whole surf fishing thing. Ive been mainly using plugs Danny's, mambos, bombers that sorta thing. I generally fish RI Breach-ways and rock piles, what kind of buck-tail would you recommend? style, weight, color, etc? Like I said I'm relatively new to this I'm trying to put a decent collection together of a little of everything and your input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Andros, For Stripers 1/2 -4 oz

Spros, For summer flounder 3/8- 3 oz

Palmers, a Bassbarn sponsors are very good too.

Gitzem Swim jigs are also good for flounder you have to add the bucktail. These 4 Are pretty much all I use.

I find White to be the most versitile color, But I use Black for stripers at night, and pink for flounder also.

Colors can be added with trailers like...Gulp, Curly tail grubs, Pork rinds,

And Strip baits add scent.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I don't care for those smiling bucktails because I haven t had much luck with them. I stick with the Round plain heads...I like for the trailers to stick up when its being bounced on the bottom the round heads keep the trailer up...The Smiling Bucktails are good for swimming higher in the water column. The Gitzem jigs are what I use for this as it adds a side to side swimming action But for stripers you definitely want the bucktail as close to the bottom as you can get it. Same for summer flounder.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Do yourself a favor.....make your own. If you fish a bucktail properly you will lose alot to the "Rock God".

Lets see,

Cost of Bucktails to fish for stripers and fluke in the "PIECE"...$150.00,

Cost of Landed 30 lb Bucktail caught Striper or 10 lb Fluke off the structure at night....

PRICELESS!!!!!!

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.