BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this e-mail today and thought what a great idea. Much like the kit car industry, buy the unit is various stages of completion and upgrade or finish yourself the way you want and save some $ in the process. THis is not a product endorsement and I am not affiliated with the company, but have to wonder why no one else has offered this approach before. Look at the number of posts on the barn about rebuilding and upgrading boats and then think about doing it with a virgin hull. The possibilities are endless.

Mar 2010 Newletter

The AMERACAT 27' may soon be available in Kit Form.

After many request we are contemplating making the 27' AMERACAT available in Kit Form for the backyard builder/do it yourselfer and we are looking for YOUR input.

1) Would you be interested in purchasing a hull with all of the parts necessary to assemble the boat yourself?

2) To save additional money could the fiberglass parts be untrimmed?

3) Should we offer the hull with console, seat and fuel tank as one kit?

4) Should we offer all of the rigging components ie. steering, pumps, switches etc. as an additional kit?

We are working on pricing now but need input from customers to see if we should offer the AMARACAT in Kit Form and at what stage of completion. If you are interested in getting more information or just want to offer your opinion, please send us an e-mail at the link below. Thanks for your help!

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
this is nothing new, been kits for sale for decades for all types of boats. Glen-L sells plans, kits and supplies and I am sure there are others. It just depends on how much you want to take on yourself.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen boat plans for years, but the hard part is always the fiberglass hull work: building molds and doing the layout. I think it keeps most people from jumping into the process. The kit car industry solved this by selling the fiberglass parts and letting the customer build from there. Granted a 27footer is a big step for most folks and a smaller one may be a way to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.