BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, had anyone ever heard of any Bull sharks making thier way into the Delaware Bay? I have heard stories, but would like to see what you guys think......

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
yes i have heard stories, but not first hand experience... bull sharks also like brackish water (salt and fresh) ... such as the extreme upper bay/lower del. river.... just food for thought;)

·
Registered
32,438 Posts
I would think this is a little far north for them but I also remember hearing that the Jersey shark attacks years ago might have been bulls.

·
Registered
224 Posts
On saturady, I was fishing between the maul and the flattop and saw a big shark following the gullwing ray around, it was brown and could have been a bull :eek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I saw it with my own eyes.

In 1976 Bill Mulligan, then owner of the INN in the Villas caught an 800+ pound Bull Shark about 1 mile off of Del Haven (just North of the Villas)

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
They are hear Trust Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of the flood water from the river turned the mouth of the bay into there new hang out. The only good thing is that the water has cooled off that might drive them away.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
katIII said:
In 1976 Bill Mulligan, then owner of the INN in the Villas caught an 800+ pound Bull Shark about 1 mile off of Del Haven (just North of the Villas)
ummmm :confused: unless the above post is a joke

SIZE: Commonly runs 6-8 feet and 100-300 pounds, but can exceed 10 feet and 400 pounds. World record 636 pounds, 14 ounces; Florida record 517 pounds.

·
Banned
6,106 Posts
ALthough the records are as stated they get much bigger.I know of one caught in a net in the chesepeake that was pushing 900. A buddy of mine who lives in Cape may had one pushing 700 (not sure where). But yes they get biger that the recors show.

We have a pile of them come to the cleaning table in Bimini all in the 400 class. They look slow and stupid at first glance but man can they motor. They can run down free swimming cudas and fresh hooked wahoo in a blink. Their jaws are similar to that of a white. Even the teeth look very much the same.

How big do they get? I wont try to guess. Theres one near 800 or more that lives near my moms condo and eats our hooked tarpon...

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
never heard of one caught on rod and reel in the bay. I was on the beach in VA a few years back when a bull shark attacked a kid and killed him just a few miles down the beach. Then, the next day or so a bull attacked a russian guy and his girlfriend in hatteras. He died, she lost a buttock. They catch bulls at the islands of the CBBT at night on false albie carcasses.

·
Registered
325 Posts
A Bull shark is what the story of JAWS was based on. I believe it was the Tom's River area then continued up towards NY before they caught and killed the shark.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Bull sharks like to work the sand bars with deeper water nearby. Thats why alot of attacks on swimmers are the bulls. I've heard of them in the lower bay but haven't seen any first hand.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I have seen them first hand and don't like them one little bit. They have a whole different out look on life.

·
Registered
6,290 Posts
The story of Jaws was based on a White shark. A bull may have been involved but the story of jaws was on a white. The Shark was caught in Raritan Bay and had the remains of one or two victoms in it. The shark struck in Beach Haven, Spring lake and the Matawan creek before being caught.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The are not picky and will strike until prey is dead--they do not hit and run-- They are one of the most dangerous sharks, I beleive the order goes bull shark, tiger, then great white, Happened to catch the recent show on the 10 most dangerous sharks on the discover channel. :eek:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Fishpicker said:
I have seen them first hand and don't like them one little bit. They have a whole different out look on life.

I am confused:confused: Once you introduce them to that giant cleaver, aren't they just another fish in the hold? What can they do that is so different? Wouldn't a firearm of one type or another dispatch them like other sharks? and then again, little more than a fish in the hold? Why do you dislike them so much? I am very confused. Mean is one thing, but what can they do that is so unique?

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
Bawugna said:
I am confused:confused: Once you introduce them to that giant cleaver, aren't they just another fish in the hold? What can they do that is so different? Wouldn't a firearm of one type or another dispatch them like other sharks? and then again, little more than a fish in the hold? Why do you dislike them so much? I am very confused. Mean is one thing, but what can they do that is so unique?
Dahm Jim you make him sound so heartless LOL! :p Must be some really mean bastids for him to talk that way. Guess we need to catch one and see ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Bull shark is very stuborn and has a high level of hormones which makes them one of the meanest sharks around. The ability for them to survive in brackish and fresh water makes them even more of a threat.

In Africa, some bull sharks swim hundreds of miles up river and attack Zebras and other animals that try and cross rivers. They are well known for hanging out where rivers run into bays since this is where all of the dead animals get washed down.....free meal.:D

I think the swimmers in Cape May and Atlantic City should think a little before they go swimming.......it is just a matter of time.:eek:

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Bull Sharks

Can't go down with three barrels on I tell you !!!!!

Do do do...........do do do................

Quinn !!! !!!! The engines can't take it...........back down !!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts