BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking for input as far as what is better for our area and why. I have a bunk trailer on my new boat but am considering switching to rollers do to the tide change and how short some of the ramps are in the SJ area. Am I wasting money or is this good reasoning?? Boat is a 21' cuddy
Thanks

·
Registered
948 Posts
Does your trailer have rollers in the center?If so,you could pull the bunks off and get bunk roller set up.I have this on my trailer and it works well.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What kind of boat do you have? Some manugactuers require bunk trailers because they offer better support. They make slides you can put on the bunks and the boat is much easier to get off and on the trailer. If the trailer is in good shape I would try the slides before I replaced the trailer.

·
Registered
12,869 Posts
I have bunks and only use trailer twice a year unless hurricane

Last year had some trouble at low tide getting boat on trailer and sometimes takes a nudge to get it off but am pleased

Will add the slides this year,

If trail a lot The rollers would be better option

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
My last boat had bunks. I trailer 100% from Maryland to New York. I learned which ramps work at any tide and used those. I prefer bunks. The boat before that was roller and sometimes it was ready to roll and I would need a rope around the winch stand to control it.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I have had both and the roller trailer is definitely easier to work. The Plastic boat is on the bunks because the rollers will leave impressions in the plastic accordingly to the manufacture. The roller trailer make it easier to retrieve at low tide and easier to drive on and off. Just a tip for bunk users The slides are great but all you have to do is wet the bunks and life becomes EZ..

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ive had both and prefer bunk trailer, just need a little more water to work with & oh yeah I have the slides and they make it real easy on & off.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
bottom line is..if ramp incline and water depth is not an issue than bunk is best...if water and incline is an issue than roller is required

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
had both also . bunk is better if u can put slides on or as mentioned pledge> my point is money. its way easyer to replace a bunk over time as the rollers have pins that rust n are a mother to get off. had to drill out the pins at a point. plus the cost more to replace the roller is seperate from the washers n pins to hold, why? ha more money should b all one package imo

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
What kind of boat do you have? Some manugactuers require bunk trailers because they offer better support. They make slides you can put on the bunks and the boat is much easier to get off and on the trailer. If the trailer is in good shape I would try the slides before I replaced the trailer.
Not all bunks offer better support. I have seen many bunks that the weight is only on the bunk right above the bunk support bracket. The remaining bunk board just bows away from the hull. My trailer has 64 rollers and I would think it would be a pretty crappy hull that would get damaged by 64 evenly supported rollers.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I have always been a proponent of rollers...boat always comes off and winches on..don't even have to get the wheels wet sometimes...water is tough on the axles if dunking them...I took the rollers off my trailer in the fall to make it a utility trailer and I ended up buying an old trailer to get my boat out before it got ices in..the old rollers were sketchy so I made bunks out of 2x10's and some of the neighbors carpet...I had a tough time getting the boat on and had to back my car into the water...it winched right on though.....getting it off yesterday was the same thing due to the ramp I was using...had to back the truck into the water and power the boat off the trailer....I miss my rollers..

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
no since it was a temporary thing..I just grabbed some carpet out of the neighbors house that was getting demolished...I am going to have to consider something for the long run as the neighbors up the street, who I let have my scrap metal, pulled my roller assemblies out from under my shed and took them to the scrap yard..by the time I noticed, which was the following morning, the scrap yard had already sent a truckload of stuff to Philly..including my brackets and rollers....so I either have to put the bunks on my good trailer when Ii take the flat deck off in a few weeks or I buy new roller arms, rollers, etc....I don't use the trailer often...most years the boat goes in the water in April, comes out 1x for a big storm in the fall, goes back in for a few more weeks and comes out for the winter after thanksgiving....I just don't like getting my vehicles wheels wet, which I did not have to do with the rollers as I could crank the boat up on the trailer as long as I could get the bow onto the rollers....with the bunks, you have to get the trailer in deep enough to float the boat up onto it a bit...which also includes submerging the trailer wheels, lights, etc...I can launch my dad's 19 Mako and get it back on the trailer w/o getting the lights or hubs wet..I haul it back and forth from Florida every winter, so keeping water out of the bearings/hubs and lights is important..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts