BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Dissapointing to say the least. There's a good thread in the striper forum about how chemicals from fertilizer running off into our oceans and rivers could potentially be a culprit

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats a very logical explanation alot of towns treat there storm water up north why dont the towns down south do the same it may help there fishery out ...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Buddy of mine grew up in Rock Hall on the Chesapeake . He told me they do not have the vegetation growth in the bay like years past. This is where the stripers & crabs alway spawn. It also helps put oxygen into the water.
they believe the run off is what is killing the growth.
the red tides are becoming the norm every year & are getting longer.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as a kid in south Jersey I rember the red tide it was like a desert ....and when we were in Warertown we recieved a notice about nitrogen or fertilizer ..I guess farmers may come first

·
Registered
179 Posts
Phosphates, Nitrates, Nitrites (i.e., the stuff in fertilizer, some laundry detergent and in urban/suburban runoff) = algae and low O2 = dead fish.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
south jersay needs to start treating this runoff ...simple test would be to put some bass and bunker in a tank and see how long they last with all that crap in there....maybe the states pa and Delaware can take some of the tax we pay on fuel to pay for the discharge being treated

1 - 8 of 8 Posts