BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im heading out tommorow to attempt this bunker snagging deal, mostly for the bass but also for sharking season bait ;x. When you snag the bunker do you leave them on the treble hooks or do you reel em in and throw em on circles? Then do you throw the bunker as close to the pod or do you just drop em off the side? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
vrau:

the key is keeping your snagged bunker close to or in the main school. The big uns dont seem to wander very far from the pod. If your in a boat, and close to the pod, then you can snag, retrieve, and re-hook on seperate pole. If the bunker are skitterish and you cant get close, or if snagging from the beach, then just snag and drop. i.e. leave em out there.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Vrau- my experience is only a little bit different from circlehooks-

We snag as many as we need- with the weighted trebles- you can certainly leave one out there with the weighted treble- that will work at times. But more often we will bring them in and hook them through the nose area or in the chin area with unweighted trebles and send them out.

I have not noticed casting to be that important- in fact many have been bitten right at the boat as we let our baits out. They will swim where they want to swim.

When you are drifting near a school of bunker- remember that there will be big ones who are well behind the pack of bunker. The bigger ones are lazy and will remain behind the school for the easy pickings. Everyone seems to think they need to put their boat right in the middle of the school. This does nothing but scatter the school and push it down.

Good luck this weekend. Where will you be fishing?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Partnership is right on.

The other thing I would add is that if the bass are following the bunker to the surface, we hook the bunker in the back, just in front of the dorsal. You can work the bunker to the surface a little easier that way and get some great splashes and chases on the surface. It's also helpful around the jetties to keep them from getting too far into the rocks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, I got out last year and had no luck but I was using the weighted trebles. I just went out and got some 7/0 octupus hooks and gonna give them a shot. Depending on the wind Im gonna head out on the boat prolly round 4am tommorow morning. Gonna plug in front of the Old Coast Guard station then head out of LEI and just look for a school of bunker. Its still pretty early so they will prolly be right out of the inlet or a tad north of of Holgate/Beach Haven.
Gimme a shout on 9 boats name is the Gail Louise.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
I've only done it from the beach but my experience has been that once you snag one let him swim b/c the few times i did do it there were bass and blues killin' em! Even after a blue would bite the back half off i'd let it sit out there and wait or reel that half in and put it on another rod and go snag(live line) another one.
it can get really crazy! depending on boat traffic there may be some bass along that sodbank but they will be gone quickly especially since the fluke tournament is tomorrow. i agree that your better off heading out of the inlet and look for gannets/bunker/other anglers hooked up.
Nick

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
vrau

the main thing to avoid seems to be other boats...they can shut the fishing down in a hurry. If you can find a pod of bunker with no boats on it and the bunker seem to be swimming for there lives and not just flickering on the surface, i think its pretty effective to snag the bunker with the weighted treble and let it swim. If bass are on the pod of bunker your offering will not last long.

But, as Ron Reddington showed us drifting heads around these pods can produce very well when the early morning bite seems to be over.

Also noticed, if your using a heavy weighted treble(like i do), it can spook the pod of bunker when it hits the water, putting the pod down.....to avoid that from happening if your marking them on the screen , drop the treble straight down instead of casting and when you feel the bunker bumping into your line, set the hook....its that easy.Cant tell you how many times i see guys motor up to a pod, 4 wieghted trebles hit the water, the bunker go down, them the guys look around woundering where all the bunker went , then take off to the next pod.

Now im no expert, these are just my observations.

BTW get out early

[ 06-10-2005, 09:09 PM: Message edited by: SRF ]

·
Registered
822 Posts
Sam, compared to some of those yinyangs, you are an expert. Beleeedat baby boa. ;)

SRF couldn't be more right. When the pod of bunker is spotted you don't want to run right at them even though your adrenalin will push you to do so. Rather, you should get within 100 yards-cut your motor- and cast to the outside of the school rather than directly in it. The splash of that weighted treble definately spooks them.

When the action appears to die off try out in the deeper water with whole dead ones or heads, or even livies as SRF said. This can be deadly.

One thing I'd like to add is that you should make sure that you get the largest snagging trebles with at least a 3X hook. The smaller and thinner models will straigten and cause some major cursing when you lose the fish of a lifetime. I've seen them open big time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took the trip out LEI up to surf city no bunker spotted, decided to troll back got a 32" in 18' of water. That breeze picked up and made it difficult to spot any bunker on the way in. Called it an early day round 8. Mike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
umbrella rig was untouched, he nailed a hopkins type spoon (some guy round me custom makes em, not as fat as bunker spoons, but still thin) with a white bucktail.

Was going to add most fish I marked were maybe 3-5 feet off the bottom, most likely why the rig went untouched

[ 06-11-2005, 12:28 PM: Message edited by: Vrau ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts