BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fishing for flounder on sat near great eag and had pretty good action on the flounder but the keeper ratio was very low. We ended the day wirh 3 keepers. The highlight of the day was when someone called out about a large school of blues off of longport and when we arivied it was a load of bunker be invaded by large blues and bass. Man was that an awesome site to see in the middle of the afternoon. I had 3 good chances of hooking up but failed all 3 times. The 1st time I put a large strip of bumker and it got hammered but the fish missed the hook. My 2nd try was to liveline the bunker and after about 1 min. the bunker got bit in half and the blue the wrong half. The 3rd time I felt the hit and I gave the fish about 15 to 20 seconds on free spool set the hook and missed the fish. When I got my bunker back it was all scratched up from a bass. So what is the proper way to fish a school of bunker and catch?

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
If the blues and bass were hitting the bunker at the surface, then you want a surface popper or swimming plug.......gibbs, Yozuri.......something that stays on top of the water, like the bait fish they were crashin

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think sjb has it right, but if you want to target the bass you want to get under the blues and liveline the bunker like u did by putting a 1oz or so on, some people use treble hooks, but if you like to catch and release that is not a good idea. Some also use circle hooks, i personally use 7/0 8/0 hook, hooked behind the dorasal fin, again this varies. I would let the fish free spool until there is a strong run and then set hook. Letting them free spool to long gives them time to spit the hook. Ive had good action this way but would also like to hear what others do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts