ryan cori,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard.............

Are You Catching Mature(Large)Bunker or
the Baby(Peanut)Bunker ?
I never heard of anyone ever eating Bunker
they are a very oily fish...
But You Never Know..

AnyOne Else Want To Chime In with a Recipe ?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You sure you're catching Bunker, not Herring? No matter, neither is any good to eat...unless you're a Striper or a Bluefish. Oiley and full of bones.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Friend of mine ate a raw one on a bet of <$200. Got most of it down till he hit the gill plates and puked. :rolleyes: Id never eat one unless I was starving to death. Raw or cooked

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you kidding me? Blech.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
THERE ARE ONLY TWO PLACES WHERE BUNKER ARE EATEN.ONE IS RUSSIA AND THE OTHER WAS IN THE FIRST NO BONES STRIPER TOURNEY ON THE CHUMSTAIN.STAIN AND TWO OTHER BARNERS WHOSE FACES I KNOW BUT THE NAMES ARE NOT THERE THEY FISH A LOT OF STRIPERS ON THE RIVER I THINK AROUND PENNSGROVE.THEY SAID IT WASN'T BAD I WAS NAPING OR I WOULD HAVE TRIED IT.
WHAT'S WORSE WHEN MULLLANEY BITES THE HEAD OFF A LIVE EEL ON THE STAIN FOR LUNCH AND CHEWS IT UP.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Don't pay any attention to these clowns. Bunker are an often overlooked fish when it comes to the table. Here is one recipe to try.

One cup chopped onion. One finely minced clove of garlic. Three stalks chopped celery. One cup minced potatoes. Two 6.5 ounce cans of chopped clams with liguid. One cup mile and half cup of half and half. One large bunker. Butter, salt & pepper.

Saute onions, celery and garlic in butter until tender. Pour in clam juice and minced potatoes then cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
Salt and pepper to taste. Add chopped clams, milk and half and half. simmer uncoverd for about half an hour.

Oh yea, the bunker. Throw that nasty thing away. :D :D :D

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
What about pickled bunker? Pickled herring is good I hear, but I have never had it nor do I want to eat it.

I would pay money to see someone bite the head off of an eel and eat it. That is nasty!

·
Registered
385 Posts
If they're smaller (or small enough), how are you catching them? Hook size and bait? It would be nice to cleanly hook one (instead of foul hooking them) - keep it healthy and throw it back out for the big guys ...

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
RedAtNight,
Weclome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard...............

1 - 14 of 14 Posts