BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been hearing of Stripes taking live bunker, but have not seen any signs of bunker around. Can anyone give me an idea of where you are getting the bunker (tackle shops maybe???) Out in the ocean or bay???
Tkanks in advance.
Brent

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't know about the large bunker.

However, I have seen huge schools of peanuts, most only an inch or so, right off the dock under the night lights (2 big halogens). Give them a while and they will make awesome live baits later on in the summer as I think they grow relatively fast. I will definitely have my cast net ready to go.

I have been consistently catching shorts from 12 inches (tagged) up to slots (table) as the bass are feeding on the peanuts nightly (weekends). A few shad are mixed in there too. With the peanuts around the bass are feeding actively, even breaking water. It's fun to watch from above on the dock. Taking bloods, small bucktails, shad strips, fin-s, storms, plugs, anything I drop in. The peanuts are too small though and die as soon as hooked.

Good luck with the large bunker, but hopefully the supply of peanuts will keep swimming around the back bay awaiting my net.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Fly Fish,

Tackle shops along the NJ coast will likely have frozen bunker or if you're lucky, fresh (but dead) bunker. I may be wrong, but I've never heard of any shops selling live bunker. You can catch your own live by finding a school of the adult bunkers and using a weighted treble hook to "snag" them. The adult bunker are in the ocean from mid to northern NJ right now. On some occasions you can reach the schools from the beach, but most often you need a boat to get to them. Go get um!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,100 Posts
Brent,

More importantly ya wanna find out where the fish are. Simply finding bunker doesn't always mean you're catch fish

The reports of "stripes" taking live bunker are probably the reports coming from Central to North Jersey.

To get an idea of "where" and "how" I'd suggest ya check out the Striped Bass forum.

Good luck

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Ron. I have a fish finder on my yak, so finding isn't really the problem. I really like to live line- such a furious strike.
Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Fly... If you travel to fish - go up to the sandy hook area (oceanside) and you will find bunker and the bass.. I think you said you have a yak so try that. They are getting beat up pretty good these days so hurry up!!!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
KBNJ,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard...........

Thanks For That Information....

Appreciated.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was lucky enough to have a large bunker get caught in my line. Not hooked, but tangled in the line. It was about 12" long.
I don't know anything about fishing with live bunker so I put him on a hook, dropped him in the water and let him swim away.
Something got him. Don't know what. I'll never know either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts