BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earning ski credits, among other things. We had a minor leak from the upstairs bedroom, which ultimately became worse with a lot of moisture down the wall, ultimately messing up the flooring a bit. Finally called the plumber who had to cut out 4 sections before finding the leak. So today I started the Sheetrock job. The nice thing was Home Depot has small sections of Sheetrock for repair jobs. The bad part is the thickness isn’t the same. So I improvised the ceiling fix by taking some backing off the sheets I didn’t use, loaded them up with joint compound then applied them over the Sheetrock I installed. Then I took a large piece of wood and just pressed it on the area to even it out. Once it dries I’ll see the next step.
I could have installed a patch but I was committed to doing it the right way.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What caused the plumbing leak ?
I have the picture. You can see the failure. It was at the 90 degree bend and right next to the support beam. Plumber said he probably didn’t get good solder all the way around due to the beam in the way. Eventually it just started leaking. I wished it manifested on the ceiling as it would have been obvious. But it dripped slowly down the pipe, eventually causing the Sheetrock to soften and we noticed the dampness.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
What the hell size rock was the existing 5/8 ?

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What the hell size rock was the existing 5/8 ?
I just realized that when you asked me this, I remembered seeing the ceiling piece in the garage. I had saved it to stick it back in but forgot all about it.
And yes, it is 5/8.
stuff I bought is 1/2”.
Ugh. Do they make 5/8?
If so I have to undo all this work

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ceiling piece caused me so much grief to fix, and now I’m thinking about ripping it all out since I have the piece that was cut out.
Ugh I hate doing things twice.
I don’t even think about the thickness of the Sheetrock........
This is why I stick to painting and law work.

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
5/8 is generally only used for a firewall. You sure you bought half inch and not 3/8?

HD and Lowes should have 5/8. I would redo it

I grew up taping and sheetrocking, I'll reserve comment on the skills :)

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The ceiling piece will be ok once I’m finished with it. But the walls, this is a problem. I have to get 5/8.

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
The ceiling piece caused me so much grief to fix, and now I’m thinking about ripping it all out since I have the piece that was cut out.
Definitely rip that out. Use a scrap piece of wood or two in the original hole to give you something to screw the new piece to

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5/8 is generally only used for a firewall. You sure you bought half inch and not 3/8?

HD and Lowes should have 5/8. I would redo it

I grew up taping and sheetrocking, I'll reserve comment on the skills :)
I just measured what I bought. It’s 1/2”.
All I need to do is just take out what I put in, get 5/8 and cut new pieces. I’ll get some tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Yes they do sell 5/8 not sure about pieces but just take a rock knife with you if you have to buy a 4x8 sheet and cut it to fit into your Truck. Doing it 2 times sucks but trying to match the 2 different levels will probably be harder

·
Registered
14,293 Posts
Unless you have some 1/8 inch underlay around then do what Bob said

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely rip that out. Use a scrap piece of wood or two in the original hole to give you something to screw the new piece to
No, I just got up on the ladder and checked it out, once I even it out with some spackle, I’ll take some tape and joint compound and it will be ok. But the rest is coming out

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’m going to see if I can shim it with some 1/8 underlay and reinstall it. I really don’t want to do this twice, well maybe 1 1/2 times.

·
Registered
31,242 Posts
It's going to bubble and crack.

Much faster and better to rip it out, screw a few pieces of scrap wood in there and put a piece of drywall in it

·
Registered
706 Posts
Earning ski credits, among other things. We had a minor leak from the upstairs bedroom, which ultimately became worse with a lot of moisture down the wall, ultimately messing up the flooring a bit. Finally called the plumber who had to cut out 4 sections before finding the leak. So today I started the Sheetrock job. The nice thing was Home Depot has small sections of Sheetrock for repair jobs. The bad part is the thickness isn’t the same. So I improvised the ceiling fix by taking some backing off the sheets I didn’t use, loaded them up with joint compound then applied them over the Sheetrock I installed. Then I took a large piece of wood and just pressed it on the area to even it out. Once it dries I’ll see the next step.
I could have installed a patch but I was committed to doing it the right way.
Was Ruff the plumber that cut the sheet rock?:p

·
Registered
13,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's going to bubble and crack.

Much faster and better to rip it out, screw a few pieces of scrap wood in there and put a piece of drywall in it
Which, the ceiling? If I rip it out, I’ll re-install the original piece that came out. But what I did looks pretty good so far for an idiot.

But the wall sections, I didn’t do anything except screw them in. I plan to take those pieces out and find some 1/8 pieces in my shed. But I know you have them in your garage!😀

1 - 20 of 50 Posts