BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent 3 hours this evening bailing countless dog fish, but did boat and release a 20 lb Drum, a 27 inch Striper, and kept a 33 inch Striper. All on clam. Lost a very nice fish that was peeling line and I couldn't stop it. Just when I thought I was about to turn it, it made another burst and the leader broke at the hook. Never saw it but is was either a very good size Striper or Drum fish.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
6 to 9 Pm. Other than one other boat that trolled around me a few times, had the inlet to myself. Be prepared to catch a lot of doggies and go through a lot of clams. I am going to try it Saturday morning.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Hey My Mistress,

Maybe the sharks wore out your hook! :eek:

I emailed you on how to rig up for Mr. Big! NOW you know why!! When the fish broach 35 pounds with a current....you better be ready!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I went down this evening just check on the boat and man was it nice. To bad I left all my gear at home. There was just enough breeze to keep the gnats away. I went down to the end of great bay bvd and the inlet was flat. Oh well maybee next time

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re-Bait, it's a doubled edge sword, gear up for the big one, have less fun with the average fish. Gear up for the average fish and take your chances with the bigger fish. Actually, I should have let the fish run more, and I do think the knot was a little worn from all of the activity. I had a 40 lb leader and 150 yards of new 30 lb power pro, so unless it was a huge drum(possible), I should have have been ok. Plus the current was not ripping yet. I will keep a better check on the leaders, and be a little less aggressive in trying to turn the fish early, especially now that we are entering cow season!

BedBug, I run a 22 foot 1979 Boston Whaler Outrage with custom wood work. Usually find me anchored in the inlet near the white stuff on the inner or outer bars in May and November. I am usually on channel 9. I will be out Saturday morning trying to find that fish that got away. :D

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was a sloppy ride across the bay last evening with a 15 knot SW wind. But it layed down and turned out to be a very comfortable(but tiring) and calm(wind/wave wise) evening.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought the Bob and Ted show was a hit last fall. I was ready to go out and recruit some paid radio sponsors. Channel 10 works for me. If I don't respond, try 9 and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since you will be out before me. If you land a big old striper with a number 6 circle hook it it's jaw, it's mine. You can keep the fish, just let me know how big it was, and return the hook. :D

·
Banned
1,549 Posts
I liked the show as well. I guess you can't have 100% of a following. I'll catch you on 9. I'll keep my eye out for your hook in any type of large swimming creature.

See ya out there.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I will be out there early also. I have only fished that side of the inlet in the fall. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
We knocked the daylights out of them this morning. Must have set my all time high in dogfish. If I had to guess I would say somewhere between 30 and 40 of them. Not your tipical dogfish mind you. These were king size doggies. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, a number of them are quite long and fat. Aerobatic to. I now refer to them as LE Grey Marlin. No Stripers or Drum. First time this spring I didn't get at least one in the inlet. Had some great looking water to. What boat were you in? I will try again one night this coming week. Drifted the bay and just hooked skate after skate. They were large to.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I was in an older 21 ft w/a with a blue top. We were around that 1st bar on the ocean side of the inlet. We went out near grassy and had the same results. When we tried drifting the bay we had the perfect wind to make you drift against the tide or just plain sit still. We quit by about 12:30.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.