BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you do it? Seem to be some good deals around but how do you go about it? Boats are on trailers and winterized. Can't sea trial or even run motor outside. Would a survey give you enough info about the motor ect. to make you feel comfortable? Or would you wait until spring when a lot more people will be looking at the boat your trying to buy? Will a surveyor travel to the location? I'm thinking just to express an interest and to let me know when I can put it in the water.

· Registered
31,669 Posts
see if the seller will take a smallish deposit until spring when the motor can be run and checked with the intent to return the deposit if you turn it down. most people are trust worthy,not all, but most.
dunk in here is a surveyor who travels,but i would never buy one not knowing if the motor has issues or not.

· Registered
3,554 Posts
Would you do it? Seem to be some good deals around but how do you go about it? Boats are on trailers and winterized. Can't sea trial or even run motor outside. Would a survey give you enough info about the motor ect. to make you feel comfortable? Or would you wait until spring when a lot more people will be looking at the boat your trying to buy? Will a surveyor travel to the location? I'm thinking just to express an interest and to let me know when I can put it in the water.
Yes - on a Surveyor & Engine Mechanic .... if the boat passes the survey ..... ask for a sea trail if it pass the sea trail ..... then you are expected to purchase the boat .....

At Cardinal Marina - we have done three sea trial's on other broker's boats ....... so, Sea Trial's are an opition ...... Cardinal Joe :thumbsup:

· Registered
3,894 Posts
I bougt my current boat in February 2008. The seller started the engine up for me and shifted it in and out of gear. It was not a big deal and I did not insist on a sea trial as I was familiar with the boat.

· Registered
15,355 Posts
I think it would depend on the boat and how much you pay for it. on smaller boats do you really need a sea trial, what are you looking for?

When I went to purchase my boat in Connecticut I did not request a sea trial, I looked over the boat for any major damage, banged around the hull looking for dead spots. If there are screws in the transom from a depth sounder and if there are brass scuppers or the drain plug run a multimeter between them and look for resistance, water in the wood or transome will pool at the bottom and if you get a reading on the meter it could indicate the wood may be wet and starting to rot.

The main thing you should be concerned with is the motor, how old it is, what condition, mechanical workings. If it runs good, looks like it has been taken care of and shifts smoothly it should be ok but to go a step further do a compression check to make sure the cylinders are with 10 PSI of each other. If it has an ecu see if the owner would be willing to get a printout from it, my motor has smartcraft and displays the engine hours on the gauge.

I would also inspect the trailer, many of them are neglected and you could end up dropping a pretty penny for a new one or to rebuild the one you have, the grady I am selling i have completely rebuilt it.

· Registered
6,800 Posts
I have no problem traveling this time of year unless snow is being bailed down.. That and boats buried under a foot of it are a little tough the look at correctly.

My biggest gripe this time of year and I hear it every year is guy's trying to buy boats and brokers won't move boat in front of them.. Think about this... You've got guy standing on your lot with money in hand wanting to buy a boat. These brokers tell them to come back in two months when the other boats are out of the way... IN THIS MARKET...they are letting people walk away and possibly wind up in 10-15 more marinas looking other boats. You'd think these brokers would at least act a little hungry? Get their 10 buck an hour fork lift guy in for few hours(throw them few bucks under the table) and move some boats around and make the sale... I'm talking to at least ten guys right now that have heard the same thing from brokers.

Then of course you have the winterizing factor. If you pull a boat out and dewinterize it to look it over then don't buy it more times than not you'll be charged to rewinterize. That's understandable..

I've got a guy up the beach a ways that's going to powerwash a 25 Whaler with hot water so I can survey it Monday for guy from CT.. These guys are both motivated and I get some work in the middle of this artic wonderland.. So I'm not complaining..

As far as seatrialing boats.. Outboards this time of year 99% of the time if we can get them fired up, compression checked and the gearcases pressure/vaccum checked I can tell you if they are right or not. Of course getting them under a load pushing the boat tells the rest of the story. But I usually don't have a problem coming back later for a seatrial if someone finds something they want to nail down. All this can be written into the contract. A survey to dry inspect, deposit to hold the boat then final payment once she passes the seatrial.. I have no problem working with guys this time of year like that..

· Registered
2,461 Posts
For what it's worth my present boat I sea trailed. We were out a short time and the engine cut out, we were able to restart and get back to the ramp. Turned out it was a bad stator, the boat was a trade in, don't know if the previous owner knew, I'm sure the salesman didn't know. The marina repaired it and I bought the boat. I think purchase should be conditional on a sea trail, some problems may only be present under load. Good Luck

· Registered
4,551 Posts
i am looking to buy next weekend the 20th.. i do not need a sea trial but i do expect the motor to be run..if i buy it should i re-fog the motor or am i ok..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.