BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Ocean city and interested in buying my firts boat. I am looking at center consoul's outboard under $20,000. I think I would like something about 17-19ft and am thinking of buying new for a good warrenty and the safty of learning how to troubleshoot problems one at a time instead of getting myself into something over my head. Any suggestions on buying a boat would be greatly appreciated such as type of engine (make model and hp),length of boat recommended , make of boat, trailor's, warrentys, accessories, places to buy and buying tactics and things to keep an eye out for while looking for a first boat. Thanks in advance and hope others will find any responses helpful. bbum2001

·
Registered
79 Posts
Good Morning,

My first advice to a first boat owner is to first of all don't rush into anything. You are making a good move here by asking for advice, don't be afraid to keep asking questions. Go to the boat shows to look around (leave the check book at home) and compare those boats in your price range and size which are on the floor. Remember once you purchase a boat, there will be many other items you will want such as possibly a trailer and the electronics for safe navigation and fishing.

Don't overlook checking out used boats which are only a year or two old that someone found out, this is not for me, need to move up, the judge told me to sell as part of the divorce and the many other reasons they are out there. Look for one with low hours on the engine and was properly maintained. I wish you the best of luck and have a great day.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Go to the A.C. boat show and start learning how to dicker with the salesmen! Get info in your hand so you can compare apples to apples. As one salesmen said to me, boats sold at the show gets the same deal as if you walked to their marina and made a bargain. Watch the extra's that are thrown in eg rod holders, lines, saftey equip etc. Don't be in a rush to buy the first "good deal" there are more out there. Good Luck.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Welcome aboard Capt. Dave!
Barners, be good to him. Capt. Dave is a good friend of fishermen. Besides the fine work he does at the US Coast Guard, he continously bust his butt as a volunteer to pass the Masssachusetts Freedom to Fish Act and beat back the enviro-weenies who are trying to shut down Stellwagen Bank.

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
All the above is very good advise. Also consider what you want to do with the boat,as in where you might be wanting to operate(consider draft if your running back bays and shallow flats) type of fishing( CC's can be cold running during striper season,but some people like the open fishing space)number of people that would normally be on board with you(17 footer's get crowded real quick),etc. I would also strongly reccommemd that you take a Coast Guard Auxilary boating safety & small boat handling course, to learn the rules of the road and safe operating practices. As well you might want to take the navigation course that they also give, it will give you the basics of getting around and enhance you knowledge of nav aids and rules of the road. If you can, also I would go with the next available power upgrade. For instance, if you boat comes standard with a 115 hp and the next option is a 130 hp, go with the 130 , boats get heavy fast with gear. Fuel consuption is not all that much more and boats tend to get heavy faster than you can imagine when you start loading on gear and people. It's nearly always less expensive to go with a larger engine at intial purchase than decideing later you need more oomph and want more horses.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
CAPT.DAVE WELCOME TO THE BASSBARN HOME OF BORED PEOPLE RIGHTNOW.WHERE YOU FISH DO YOU GET ANY SHOT AT TUNA?I DIDN'T NOTICE IT IN YOUR SITE.

BBUM---JUST ONE THOUGHT UNTIL YOU ARE TOTATLY AT EASE WITH WHATEVER YOU BUY AND USE TO THE AREA KEEP ALL THOUGHTS OF OCEAN FISHING AWAY FOR AWHILE.

GOOD LUCK BOTH OF YOU.

/

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
20 grand outta do nicely for what you want. You could probably do it for 10. Where do you plan on fishing? If it's the back bay then take a ride to Somers Point to Steve's Deepwater Marine and check out the Carolina Skiff. Good first time boat! Then there are the Maritime Skiff at Somers Point marine across form the Anchorage.

·
Registered
543 Posts
If you deal with a boat broker, be sure to get references. You will find some good ones and some bad ones, but the bad ones are really bad. Also, I am not a lawyer, but it pays have a lwyer look over the papers before you sign. I got involved with a broker last year that decided to inform me the day before closing that the boat had been sold to somene else. To make a long story short, I did not get my deposit money back, until after I hired an attorney.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks Egghead and Jack,

Egghead is correct about busy with fighting for the rights of fisherman to continue fishing. I just wish more people would get involved and Thank God for the job RFA has done here in MA. The website is in the process of being changed. Tuna is not up there but will be as we get into the summer months. We have a pretty good giant fishery here even though this past year was a little disapointing. I hope to be on here frequently and anyone can ask me anytime what is going oup north and I will be glad to fill them in.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Welcome Capt. Dave

BBUM, I work in OC and live in LInwood, If I may make a suggestion.
If you are in the market, go and see Sean Reilly at Waterfront Marine (base of the Somers POint bridge)

He is a very good friend and has been in the boating bus for a long time, He is the least pushy guy you ever want to meet, He can educate you, show you things, and give you a straight answer, which is tough to get in the industry.

For 20K you can get a lot of boat in the 17 - 19 range, I feel you would be better off with a one year old or so boat, Most likely the warranties are transferable and the previous owner can take a fair amount of hit off of depreciation.

That's is just my .02 cents, Give Waterfront a call or wait for the show and stop by and say hello to him.

JUST DONT RUSH YOUR DECISION, You think there are alot of boats for sale now, Wait 2 more months and look out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the exccellent information and please keep it coming. I plan to fish the back bay, GE inlet, Corsons and inshore with the proper conditions. I plan to take the boating course and attending the ac boat shoe in feb. as recommended. Also upgrading the engine hp sounds like great advice thanks capt. Perhaps my biggest question is what engine is preferred and why?

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
bbum, I have a real nice 1999 20' Aquasport CC w/ 130 evinrude and trailer. Great boat for what you're looking to do, even comes w/ fishfinder, vhf, and custom canvas covers. It's in excellent shape, I just bought a new 22' CC. I still would encourage you to go get info at the show and shop around, but send me an email if you are interested. Asking 14,000 OBO..striper13

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
OC is my stomping ground also. Hope to see you out there.
Remember you pretty much get what you pay for. I would go for 18-20 range to start. We have a great fall fishing in the area but its mostly out front. 20 ft might sound big for your first boat but if you want to go out front your 17 will get old quick. The inlet can be a mess and even on most calm days it can be bad on a outgoing tide.
If you want to stay in the bay you can't beat a skif. Our first boat was a 16 ft aluminum and I was looking for 18 ft to move up. I found a 1 year old 21 and after 5 years moved to a 24.
As stated early you can get a nice used boat and most warranties transfer. Take your time look at the boat show for the things that are important to you. Just my 1 1/2 cents.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
bbum - I wouldn't be too concerned about not buying new and having problems. If you have at least 1 boating friend or at least the Bass Barn....a 17-19 footer doesn't have too many things to go wrong on her.

The biggest expense and source of problems is the engine. If you buy a boat that was taken care of, the engine should be fine and give years of good service, Don't think new boats are free of problems.

A new boat loses about 15 percent of its value as soon as you sign the papers....even from the same dealer you just bought from....so if you find shortly after you bought that another boat would be better for you...you take a big hit where a slightly used boat will hold its value for a bit longer if you did your homework. Use the 5 thousand you save to buy all the gear your gonna want (slickers, binocs, electronics.. which are often near free when used, fishing gear, anchors, lines, etc...etc)

The other thing... is you better love fishing and be a hardy sole to buy a center console. They look great and fish great when fishing....but darn near kill you during the early and late seasons due to wind chill and spray. Except for certain types of fishing, CCs aren't the only way to go and something with a deck and windshield can turn a miserable day to tolerable.

Good luck and keep getting plenty of advice and opinions before you sign....

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you buy a used outboard there are two very importtant things. 1. Make sure a compression test is performed and the cylinders test out within the specified range. 2. Make sure the boat is run under load and then let the lower unit rest for several hours and then check the lower unit gear lube. Smoky looking or the presence of water will be a red flag. After the unit sets the water will settle to the bottom. Seals may need to be replaced or gears could be shot. Make sure these tests are completed by a certified mechanic of the engine that you are purchasing. If you are buying a hull that is out of warranty make sure a hull surveyor or fiberglass guy inspects for cracks, blisters, stringers etc.This money spent up front will save you in the long run. You are buying a boat for the hull first then the power. The other stuff on the boat is of little value electronics etc. Good luck.

[ 01-19-2004, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: To-Do ]

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Welcome aboard bbum. I'm a propontent of buying a used first boat unless you have experience trailering and docking someone elses. Kissing a pile or fixed dock with a brand new boat can be an expensive lesson. Knot to mention some learnings on the ramp. I had the opportunity to watch a beautiful new CC bounce down the ramp on the outboard's skeg this summer. You will have an oopps or two. Count on it. Better to learn the hard lessons on something less expensive. After a year or two sell it and by what you really want. You will have a much better idea of what you're looking for.
An outboard center console about 17-19 ft is a good choice for your stated plans. Save some money for maintenance and goodies.
Good fishing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Everyone has given you good information, I personally don't like cc because of the wet ride. I have a 1988 bowrider for sale, it has a brand new engine 140hp mercruiser runs great. I just bought a bigger boat a cuddy walkaround 21ft. I have fished the bowrider in the bay out to the Atlantic City Reef, from April to late November. It does get cold but the windshield closes to keep the spray off you. I'm asking 3,500 for boat and trailer.Good Luck to you.

·
Registered
557 Posts
LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP. TRAVEL AROUND TO ALL THE MARINAS AROUND ,LOOK AT THE DESIGN OF ALL BOATS AND THINK OF WHO YOU WILL TAKE FISHING WITH YOU .NOW THINK OF WHERE YOU WANT TO GO FISHING OCEAN OR BAY OR BACK BAYS.NOW LOOK AT THAT BOAT AGAIN HOW HIGH ARE THE SIDES ,BOW DESIGN,TRANSOM.CENTER CONSOLE GIVES YOU ALL THE ROOM TO FIGHT THEM FISHIES.NEED A LITTLE CABIN FOR THE KIDS,WELL THAT CUTS DOWN ON FISHING ROOM . GO TO THE SHOWS FORT WASHINGTON THIS ,AC SHOW LOOK AROUND THERES NO HARM IN LOOKING.!!!!!MY BOTHERS AND BROTHER IN-LAW ALL HAVE BOATS . MY BROTHER-IN-LAW HAS A PELICAN BAY CENTER CONSOLE NICE BOAT BUT MADE CHEAP!!!!!! BLISTERS IN JELL COAT RUB RAIL AH. MY YONGER BROTHER HAS A BAYLINER WITH CABIN 150 MERC NICE BOAT BUT NOT ENOUGH ROOM FOR MORE THAN 3 PEOPLE.NOW MY OLDER BROTHER BUILT HIS BOAT THE GUYS IN THE MARINA LIKE HIS BOAT 16.6 LONG 70INCHES AT TRANSON ONLY HAS 50MERC ON THE BACK . ONLY TWO PEOPLE ON BOAT BUT ITS RIDES PRETTY DAM GOOD . WATCH THAT DESIGN!! GOOD LUCK
:D :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts