BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am Looking at a Chris Craft Scorpion 254.
its a 1985 0r 86 and 26 feet overall.
been sitting for a while due to illness of the owner. i can take it for 3500-4000 w/ a good dually trailer. it may need some engine work or maybe a new motor. Looks like a great fishing boat from what i can see and have read about this model. this is my first real boat and was wondering if any barners could play devils advocate or tell me what to look for.
any ideas on what a new engine would cost? Mercrusier 5.7liter gas. I/O
thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
last engine quote i had for I/O was for a whole drop in pacakage. depending on Hp and carb or fuel injection was something around 13-16000 installed. But we are going back about 3 years.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Buy a "turn key" unless you are rich or very mechanicly inclined.It is abuyers market and for 10,000-15,000 you can find a boat you will be fishing on next week.The boat you are looking at you could have that much in and still not fishing. JMHO.
Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Buyer beware it can get expensive quick

Every response I have read so far is good advice. Since it is an 85 or so, I would findout what other work he has had done to the boat. Gas tanks, electrical and so on and so on. Also it would be worth it for you to take someone very knowledgeable about boats with you ( could save you alot of cash and frustration in the long run.

For a Mercury motor quote, I would check with Almars in New Castle De. Great guys and they only specialize in Mercury motors. Call and ask for Jack or Al (Al is the owner) It is worth the drive. Also check in the Salty Dog and Boat trader for their current inventory and prices. Tell them Rob sent ya. Good luck

·
Banned
2,690 Posts
interesting...

with an older rig like that you're getting into something...

first,if it's an alphaI drive-the entire package will need to be replaced...the reason is simple-the older alpha drives had a different water pump-it was low volume high pressure....the newer engines require a larger amount of coolant flow-the newer alpha genII drives have the high volume low pressure water pumps...if you use that new engine with the older drive-the engine will blow head gaskets-it will NOT be covered under warranty...

package price will be in the ball park of $12,000 that's the 350 mpi bravoI package....if you're serious,drop me a line and i'll get the exact price...

you're gonna need more stuff though-i reccomend to replace everything,the harness,the guages,remote control along with the cables...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts