BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to British Virgin Islands this weekend, spending a week sailing, and was looking to charter something in the 40' class to do some offshore fishing. Anyone have thoughts or experience with the best location to charter and fish out of? Heard the North Drop is good but I am having a hard time finding where that is (I think off Anagata?) Welcome some thoughts.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Bvi

From what I recall, the drop is more suited to fishing from St Croix, perhaps St. Thomas. You will be to the east. Anegada does not have an offshore fleet- but they have the best of the bonefishing in the BVI. It is about a half hour boatride from Virgin Gorda- you will need the local guide and a fly rod. You can ask at Tortolla if there are any offshoree guides as that is probably the best jump-off point for fishermen. Bring a 4 piece travel spinning rod and some small metal . The yellowtail like a fast retreive. There is a bar at the foot of the Tortolla runway where everyone stops awaiting the ferry to take you to the other BVI's. Get a drink and break out the rod- there are bones in front of the bar in a foot of water. Good luck- post any other questions.

·
Banned
12,837 Posts
Really, anyone have any experience in the BVI with offshore fishing??????
I don't have Experiance with offshore fishing outside of the BVI's. I've done a lot of sailing out there, and the best idea I may have is contact someone like the Moorings charter outfit. Their a sailing charter fleet, but you may get some info from them on fishing charters. You can also try footloose, and sunsail, both of these are also sailing charters.

Sopers hole in Tortola is a marina, customs location. You may find something out of there. Tortola is the bigger island of the group, with beef island airport.

Anagada is an island of little tourist commercial end. It has an airport. The main entrance to the island is currently marked for passage of small pleasure boats. This is the only entrance into the island and the only resort for lack of better words that you'd find. If you fish from land you can find reef all around the rest of the island, check out cow wreck beach for some smaller reef species. There was one guy running bonefish fishing out of Anagada reef hotel area. Haven't been there in a while so not sure if he still is running, last time there he was a hour late and drunk. You can find bonefish right off reef hotel beach.

Most of the harbors around the BVI's have tarpon in evening just swimming around the sail boats.

Marina cay off beef island have a small flats area that has bones

The cut between beef island and marina cay have tarpon, deep water fishing not flats.

In Tortola on the other side of the island by bumbas shack is apple bay, here you can find permit in the surf line.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was in St. Thomas a year ago from now. Went out on a half day offshore with Doubleheader on one of their 35ft CC. I believe they are Contenders. We ran off to St. Johns across the bay for some bait and then headed out to the drop. Caught 7 different species but no wahoo that I wanted to catch. Some of the charters on St. Thomas may do a pickup on anohter island or if you are island hopping and end up there check them out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Big Ting Charters (google it) out of Virgin Gorda knows what he is doing. Went out a few years ago first week in February and did real well with mahi mahi and wahoo. Actaully had a wahoo bit in half while retrieving, pretty cool. They can also take you over to Anegada to bonefish. Heading down in 2 weeks for some more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts