BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fish with the cabela's salt striker series rods and reels? I was thinkin of pickin up a few for the spring. I was looking at the 7'6" rod.

·
Registered
865 Posts
i bought one of there baitrunner style reels 5 years ago for surf fishing... still have it on my boat and use it from time to time never failed me and has caught ALOT of fish.... good reel for 60 bucks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I absolutely LOVE their reels. For saltwater, they're all I buy. They're strong, durable, smooth, and inexpensive to boot. I have the 30 size for my kayak, the 40 size for my bridge/bank fishing, and the 50 size for my surf rod. Give them a shot, if you don't like them, they are easily returnable.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I have a friend down here in Florida that didnt make it through the three months with one. Down here reels get put to the ultimate test. Most all fail. My Dawai Saltist ($225) looks like its going back to the factory for the second time this year. I just had a fairly new Simano baitrunner ($140) lock up this week. However my Shimano Stradics have held up. I gave up on all my Tica reels. They worked fine on stripers and fluke but the daily reef fishing destroyed them in months.
The big suprise however has been my two new Penn Battles. They are now 4 months old and the 5500 goes to the reef everyday and runs like new with very little care. My two new Okumas lasted a month a piece. The fish on theese reefs are big and on steroids. With 80 pound braid and the drags locked down every part on a reel gets stressed. Pay the extra $20 and go with the Penn Battle.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Blew two of the bairunner spinning reels up one day catching tog in the back. I split the frame in half on one of them while fighting a fish and the other smoked the drag right out of it.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have an SS80 that i got on sale. I love the thing. It's held up very well with minimal maintenance. The 80 is huge but I love it for reef fishing and surf. With that said I have a Penn Fierce now that I use for everything, kayak and reefs! So the SS is not exactly collecting dust but it's dropped back a bit.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have the 50 that I use on my 9' surf plugging rod w/PP 40#. I keep sayin' I'm gonna move over to the Battle as soon as this one stops....still waiting. Of course I wash it after every session and relubed it 1/2 way through the fall season.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The Salt striker rods are very good and a great price. I make rods for a hobby and I own four Cabelas Salt Striker Rods. They are great. I travel from Florida to NY and These are some of the Fish I catch on them:
Sails, Mahi mahi, king fish, Grouper, Mutton, Yellowtail,Seabass, Black fish and wreck fish

I have two With shim TLD 25's on them good for trolling light lures.
I have two with Spining Shim 4500 baitrunners. These are great for running live bait!

Always get one piece rods. My Spinners are little short at 6' and Bait casters are 7'+ I would buy them again. Med to heavy action.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Having just rec'd my 2012 Cabela's Saltwater catalog I'd like to change my answer; when I purchased my Striker Metal they were on sale for $49.99---now at $79.99 I'd go with the Sargus at the same price or better move up to the Battle. You probably could find a sponsor on here that even has a better price;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.