BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess we all should have seen this coming, but Cabela's is considering buying the Atlantic City racetrack and building a store on the grounds. Evidently Cabela's is planning on something mammoth: it almost boggles the mind, but the one they're planning will evidently make the one in PA looks like a "little brother." I wonder what it will do to all those small bait and tackle shops up and down the coast. Here's the link from yesterday's A.C. Press:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/atlantic/042705ACRC2_A27.cfm

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I will remain a customer of the local bait & tackle stores but it would be very nice to have access (touch and feel) to the Cabela's inventory.

Especially the waterfowling and hunting gear...our area stores do not carry a wide assortment of hunting gear...but hey, this is NJ!!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
That sounds like a big hurt on the local bait and tackle shops, but if you need a plug, a couple jighead, or a fresh bag of pinkies you aint gonna drive all the way to Cabelas.

Dont know if I like Cabelas movin in like that, but my dad always tells me that mom and pop shops are dying. Soon enough the only store you'll ever need is Wal-Mart. Sucks. Big time.

Later On
RyanF

39 Posts
I don't care how big they are when you call on the phone and they have no size 12 waders in stock what good are they ? I called the Pa. Hamburg store today and they don't have what I need . I stopped at a shop near my house and they told me I could have them in the store to try on in 48 hours . I'll be doing buisness locally .
Herman

·
Registered
174 Posts
Fin, I was wondering the same thing. I was pretty sure those plans for North Jersey were a go. When you look at a map of entire NE, it is a bit surprising they would have three stores with 200 miles of one another.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
here ya go...

April 29, 2005

Cabela?s rep comes to town, meets with Hamilton officials, Gormley
By ANDREW JOHNSON Staff Writer, (609) 272-7238

HAMILTON TOWNSHIP - The benefits of Cabela's opening a store here are clear: about 700 jobs and a $40 million building generating municipal ratables but no children to educate.

Mayor John Sacchinelli says the township is already worried about someday having to construct more schools. He says a project such as Cabela's could help.

Cabela's idea of a store is in the 200,000-square-foot range, about one quarter of the entire Hamilton Mall. The company has 10 stores across the country, drawing millions to each one annually.

On Thursday, a representative from a $1.6 billion sportsmen's retailer met with local politicians to discuss what financial incentives would be available to Cabela's if it decides to build locally.

Hamilton officials asked state Sen. Bill Gormley, R-Atlantic, to attend the meeting. He met with Cabela's site-evaluation manager Ed Eckman.

Gormley said after the meeting it is too early to know what kind of financial package might be put together for Cabela's.

Gormley said he would call the state Department of Community Affairs, New Jersey Commerce, Economic Growth & Tourism Commission and the New Jersey Economic Development Authority today on behalf of the store. He says the project is likely to grab the state's attention.

Many in Trenton probably know Cabela's, which announced last year it wanted to build a store at the Meadowlands Xanadu complex in East Rutherford. That deal is not done, Eckman said. The earliest date for that store to open would be 2007, he said.

Eckman says he is talking with three or four local landowners about a possible deal. Eckman confirmed that Greenwood Racing, which owns all 254 acres of the Atlantic City Race Course, was one of them.

Financial-incentive packages given to Cabela's in the past have been substantial.

Berks County, Pa., paid $32 million.

County economic development director Tom McKeon says his county, the state, the school district, and Hamburg Boro came up with the money together. Cabela's accepted and opened there in 2003.

"In order to compete, you need to provide the incentives," says McKeon. "Or they go on to the next place."

"We didn't feel too bad. In West Virginia, they paid $125 million," he said. (Another Cabela's store is in Wheeling, W.Va.)

Explaining the Berks County deal, McKeon said the company saved $22 million on future taxes by using that amount of money for infrastructure improvements necessitated by the store.

McKeon says some critics call such deals "corporate welfare." But he says his community was suffering and needed an economic jolt. Nearly everything associated with the new store has been positive for the county, he says. "There's a buzz about it," McKeon said.

Before Cabela's opened, it promised 6 million visitors a year to Hamburg. McKeon says 8 million have come.

The clear message from Hamilton Township leaders Thursday was, if Cabela's wants to come, the township would be ecstatic.

"We would love to have them," said Township Administrator Ed Perugini, who says that he first received a call from the Nebraska retailer two months ago about its interest in Hamilton.

A Cabela's in Hamilton Township has other boosters.

Hamilton Mall general manager Mark Wampler welcomes it.

"If they're going to bring 3 to 4 million people to our area, that's a good thing," Wampler said.

He's not worried about competition. "We're not selling the same things Cabela's is selling."

"It would be better than what's over there now," Wampler said.

Wampler was referring to ACRC, one possible spot for the store, which is mostly vacant, even during its four days a year of live horse racing, which starts at 3 p.m. today.

Kittie Naegler, of Upper Township, disagrees. The horse race fan says she will be disappointed if the ACRC closes.

ACRC spokeswoman Maureen Gallagher Bugdon says 10 to 20 people like Naegler have called her office to ask about the possible deal.

"It's very bittersweet," said Bugdon, about this year's horse racing season, "if it were to be the last year."

·
Registered
47 Posts
I support the common business owner before I support the Corp! From video's to hardware or anything...if I see the little guy busting his butt and trying to make it...I support them 1st.

RIP

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
The bait and taclkle shops near the water will survive. Places like Finatics and Tackle direct will feel pinch. Dick's and Sports Authority will drop their hunting and fishing departments. Prices on most of the stuff we buy are fixed anyway(try getting a stratic for less).
One thing for sure.....it will bring more people to the area.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Thanks for the atricle Make Me Nuts. According to it North Jersey is not a done deal. I'd love to have a Cabela's closer than Hamburg. I've been there at least half a dozen times already. If they open near AC, I'll bet they will have a better salt water fishing department as Hamburg is relly set up for freshwater big time.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I think the tackle shops make their best profits of the live bait, which I can't imagine Cabelas having. So they won't get hurt that way. Some tackle shops, not most, need some competition because of the high mark-up on some hardware. But then again, it's a tough way to make a living so I support them until it hurts my wallet. Or if they are ever rude or stingy with bait

·
Registered
308 Posts
I try to support the local guys as much as possible. What happens if they get run out of business? Where will you buy your fresh bait? Who will give you KNOWLEDGABLE service and information? You go to the big stores and you get a bunch of blank stares when you ask a simple question. You pay a few bucks more at the local B&T but usually you get more than just the item you are buying.
;)

[ 05-04-2005, 12:55 PM: Message edited by: splions ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts