BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to go to Cabo in September or October, can any of you give me Hotel Suggestions?? Looking to stay on the beach so I can leave my wife there and go fishing!!! thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I just got back from my honeymoon and i stayed at the Melia Cabo Real.. It is in the corridor and about 20 mins north on route 1.. I rented a car for 7 days and it was like 4000 pesos! that is pretty cheap for 7 days!

It was the only swimmable beach in cabo!

And all inclusive

11days 10 nights with no air was 4500 for everything. That included open bar premium liour and three restaurants!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MAN, you are quick as hell!!! I read your post on the fishing, I was also thinking about going with pisces but I think i'm going to look at other charters...
Keep em comming

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I would find someone else.. I would recommend Picante.. They have a huge fleet of nice boats.. Pisces boats are garbage.. they are your bare bones fishing boats with like 4 rods on each! dont really think they are any good. If i go i want to cruise in style! picante has some nice stuff and nice cabos!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I stayed at the RIU palace the place was great about a ten minute taxi ride to downtown/marina area. all inclusive very clean etc.. For boats i just walked the docks and people come up to u and then u can check out the boats and haggle with them and set your own price. Picante fleet is nice but expensive as there were only two of us and we didnt need all of those luxuries.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
You are correct rob.. you can also go down and haggle.. The thing i found out which may be or may not be true is that a lot of the newer boats with more amenities per say caught more fish.... I fished with pisces and they spent more time catching bait even though the bait well was over filled...

It was just not working yet all the huge sportfishes around the golden gate where we were, were backing down all around us.. plus we only had two freaking lines in the water!! now that is some bulls#&$

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
rob b said:
I stayed at the RIU palace the place was great about a ten minute taxi ride to downtown/marina area. all inclusive very clean etc.. For boats i just walked the docks and people come up to u and then u can check out the boats and haggle with them and set your own price. Picante fleet is nice but expensive as there were only two of us and we didnt need all of those luxuries.
Second for the RIU. 5 min from downtown. It was $3000 hotel & air all inclusive for 8 days 7 nights. October is a great month to go.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I spoke with a guy who told me the Riu was nice but the liqour was junk and the food was horrible! Maybe he didnt know much!?!?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll third the RIU. $2500 8days last July all inclusive. Liquor was fine, hotel was amazingly clean. Get your towels early and don't eat the meats. Every thing else was good. Fresh fish for every meal. The beef was a little funny.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
sportfishingusa said:
I spoke with a guy who told me the Riu was nice but the liqour was junk and the food was horrible! Maybe he didnt know much!?!?
Were you expecting to drink Patron all week:eek: . Everyone has their opionions but Im in the food biz and the food was slighly above average but who needs food.
Bloody marys in the morning, beer in the afternoon, tequilla at night. Repeat daily.
Place was beatiful and the service was great. We did eat in town a few times too.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Fishy where you eat in town?!?!

I had just a burger from lorenzillos and it was amazing! it was like ground filet cooked in bacon fat!! lol

If your in the food business you know bacon fat makes everything good! lol

And my wife had just shrimp cocktail in the afternoon to go with some drinks and it was amazing!!

Also go to the OFFICE on the beach!! amazing place to party! food is so so but drinks are great! 2 for 1s..

Then eat dinner at ediths.. which is also great seafood! little pricey but best around..

Also eat at Ole Ole.. Good joint but make sure they give you a free round of drinks before you sit down! make them give you something before you sit!!

Then try No worries!

Cool joint for lunch! not bad at all.

OH AND DONT FORGET... If you go to costco or walmart do not expect to find any sort of american stuff other than a few items.. There is NOTHING! lol

DRINK BOTTLED WATER AND STAY HYDRATED!! That son gets rediculously hot..

Oh and Fishy.... Melia Cabo Real did have patron. hahaha ;)

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM There nothing better than pork fat.

·
Registered
336 Posts
If your up to non all inclusive check out the pueblo bonito sunset beach amazing hotel a bunch of pools and the people have to drive you around in golf carts because its built into the side of a mountain. They also have shuttles that take you to their other resorts and you can spend the day in them one of them is a holistic retreat and the other is walking distance to the marina and town. Food is cheap in town, most of my meals were like 30 to 40 dollars. Also check out Red drum fishing they are very good as well. I do know to stay away from west coast outfitters they are next to red drum.
Tight lines,
Doug

·
Registered
382 Posts
sportfishingusa said:
You are correct rob.. you can also go down and haggle.. The thing i found out which may be or may not be true is that a lot of the newer boats with more amenities per say caught more fish.... I fished with pisces and they spent more time catching bait even though the bait well was over filled...

It was just not working yet all the huge sportfishes around the golden gate where we were, were backing down all around us.. plus we only had two freaking lines in the water!! now that is some bulls#&$
You are right, but that is why you have to check out their equipment etc.. and its good to also go down there when the boats are coming in then u can ask the people getting off the boats (first hand info) we scouted for a day before we decided. I only ate one dinner at RIU i always ate downtown at the stop light (i think ) great food cheap and you have to remember all the food is not top quality like here fillet mingon might come from a donkey for all we know down there, stick to the fish.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Cabo

As far as hotels, most are on the beach especially on the sea of Cortez side, I stay at the Fiesta Americana Grande, as we have joined thier vacation club. Very few all inclusives in the area but as others mentioned there are some. As far as the fishing fleets I highly recomend Pisces as I have fished with them 10 times and only once did not catch billfish. Yes thier boats are older but well maintained and they do go by the K.I.S.S. method, but they CATCH FISH! Besides I think it's pretty cool fishing on those classic Bertrams that are 40 years and older! They are not afraid to burn fuel and go the distance to where the fish are, as some of the other fleets will not go to far to save fuel.Just my two cents but you could take sportfishingusa's advice, sounds like he fished with them once and has them all figured out! lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
strip marlin

vacation in cabo from 01/05/08 to 01/12-08 fished on the 9th and 10th great weather and great fishing 4 strip marlin day one and 6 on day two plus all the dolphin you want i fished with juanitas sportfishing on the mi amante great capt and mate if you call them ask for robert scott he is the owner of the fleet

·
Registered
457 Posts
Toggytime said:
If your up to non all inclusive check out the pueblo bonito sunset beach amazing hotel a bunch of pools and the people have to drive you around in golf carts because its built into the side of a mountain. They also have shuttles that take you to their other resorts and you can spend the day in them one of them is a holistic retreat and the other is walking distance to the marina and town. Food is cheap in town, most of my meals were like 30 to 40 dollars. Also check out Red drum fishing they are very good as well. I do know to stay away from west coast outfitters they are next to red drum.
Tight lines,
Doug
I have to agree with the peublo bonito sunset beach, an absolutely amazing resort built into the side of the mountian!!!! Me and my fiance were down there last year and she loved. If you plan on leaving your wife for a couple days to go fishing stay there, she will definitely thank you for that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Go see Minerva at Minerva's tackle in downtown. I fished the Minerva III--a 31 Bert with a decent crew. Only caught 1 Wahoo, although we raised at least 20 Marlin. The next day fished with the OUTCAST. I don't know what kind of boat it was. Brought 3 Striped Marlin to the boat and raised 12. Crew was much more patient and teased the fish. We used 30-50lb class rods with TLD-25's for 200lb Marlin. What a great time. Minerva has got to be the nicest lady in town and she will set you up with the best boats catching the most fish for the best price. Both trips were in the $700 range each.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Cabo contacts / capts / recommendations

Past experience is that the "booking agent" takes as much as 40% of the fare, with the rest going to the boat - I'm always looking for local contact/capts if anyone has one they would recommend - not looking for fancy - just someone is honest and decent.

Planing on a trip early November - heard that is the best time for tuna.

Usually I try to re-rent a timeshare that someone cannot use - gives you the most room for the money.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts