1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, esp. to Nightstrikes for the link to Cajun Line Co.
With the increase in use of "blood" hooks (I've not used them) the "science" of using red to hide the line or hook may have some merit. Comments?
I normally fish for fluke and other inshore fish (blues, weakfish) but wonder which fish are primarily site feeders vs. smell, motion etc. That should make a difference in the effectiveness of hiding the line or hook.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Silversurfer,
There was a thread a little while ago where i asked about the effectiveness of red hooks. If u do a search for "Red Hooks" you should come up with it, maybe there will be some useful info in there about the red of the line getting filtered out. :cool:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Silversurfer, I sold quite a bit of it this year and had good feedback. The concept behind it, without getting to in depth is red loses it light refraction ability quicker than any other color in the spectrum. so it fades into its surrounding at about 5 to 6 ft of water. It's other qualitys as far as abrasion resistance, memory and breaking strength are comparable to most linesin its class. Hi Seas has released a red line of there own this year, so there must be something to it if other companys are releasing similar products. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Someone mentioned that red is the first color to disappear. Depending on the clarity of the water, it would be visible in shallow depths. Problem is, red becomed grey after it "disappears". I spooled up with the red line last year while fishing in florida. I was targeting king mackrel and I had fish swipe the bait bo no takers. We were into alot of fish while chumming and they were around in big schools. Switched to mono and the story changed. I believe that red line has its market in deep water, bottom fishing but its a gamble for anything above 20 ft. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Red is the first wavelength to disappear in water...not necessarily the first color. Remember that they use a combination of different coloring agents to put the red in a red fishing line. You aren't just dropping a red ray of light down into the water. The red will disappear quickly, but whatever other colors they used to make the line red will show up underwater.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Had good luck using red hooks for stripers. I tried them for the last two years and they work pretty good. I was under the impression that the red imitated gill rakers or blood and got the fish excited? Now they are telling us that red disappears on mono? Which one is it? I'm sticking with green Powerpro and a flouro leader with my red hooks. Hey now I know why those red hooks worked.......they must have been invisible to the fish! LOL :D
:D ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Red disappears underwater because the water filters out the red light waves and a red object then appears black. It doesn't disappear, it just looks black. DUH !! Why not just use something black in the first place ?? Didn't anybody out there take high school physics ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Correcting myself, when the red light waves are filtered out by the water the underlying object will appear to be whatever color was under the red. If it is silvery metal it will appear grey. If it is dark it will appear black. If it is transparent mono it will look like monofilament looks. Also, red looks red because it absorbs blue. Ultraviolet is blue and it weakens monofilament. Maybe that new line has some UV inhibiters in it but it sounds like a gimmick to me. Anyway, what is it supposed to accomplish ?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Silver,
I used the line last season after seeing a guide in N. Carolina using it inshore. I purchased 20lb and I believe 12 or 14lb. I found the line to have a lot of memory on my spinning outfits which resulted in poor casting ability and lots of knots. I used it from april to Sept. and I have to say I didnt notice much difference in the hook-up ratio. I also used it as leader material with red hooks and saw no difference in hook-ups. I was really disappointed with the lines performance. I believe that another company, maybe hi-seas has recently come out with a red line. You might want to give it try. If you buy Cajun I would tell you to by one spool and try it first.

At the end of the season I switched to power pro and was really impressed with the sensitivity, casting ability and lack of resistance to current etc. Catchem-up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts