BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying one reel or the other for chucking bunker and herring and liveling both of them also. I also do jigging for stripers and want to know what reel is better for that. I just want opinions on those two reels i'm interested in. I'm not interested in avets, fin nor, just those two thanks

· Registered
19,261 Posts
I can also talk the 400 (or in my case since I crank lefty, the 401). I bought the first one about 8 years ago and tried to use it as a conventional surf reel 'cause I could throw a mile with it. The fishing was great until I realizied I was doing a lousy cleaning job on it and it started to gunk up. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and noticed lots of plastic in there where I thought there should be metal. Back to the surf with it, then back to the bench. Then I sent it back to Shimano.. Keep in mind, I still loved the way the reel fished.

They sent me a "you do a lousy job taking care of your equipement" note, and a brand new 401, no charge.

That was enough to retire the reel to "boat only" status and we have lived happily ever after. A couple years later, I packed up a bunch of reels over the winter and sent them to Shimano for clean and lube... and waddayaknow.... got back another new 401 from them... (they are really refurbed reels from shop stock, but still good as new).

I have caught countless big stripers, mahi, jeez you name it with this reel. Snag and drag bunker, dropped for offshore seabass kinda deep... mine is strapped to an 7'6" Lamiglass and it without a doubt the first rod/reel combo I grab when heading out.

On a 1-10 scale, it has to get a solid 8.......

· Registered
83,990 Posts
I can also talk the 400 (or in my case since I crank lefty, the 401). I bought the first one about 8 years ago and tried to use it as a conventional surf reel 'cause I could throw a mile with it. The fishing was great until I realizied I was doing a lousy cleaning job on it and it started to gunk up. Took it apart, cleaned it up, and noticed lots of plastic in there where I thought there should be metal. Back to the surf with it, then back to the bench. Then I sent it back to Shimano.. Keep in mind, I still loved the way the reel fished.

They sent me a "you do a lousy job taking care of your equipement" note, and a brand new 401, no charge.

That was enough to retire the reel to "boat only" status and we have lived happily ever after. A couple years later, I packed up a bunch of reels over the winter and sent them to Shimano for clean and lube... and waddayaknow.... got back another new 401 from them... (they are really refurbed reels from shop stock, but still good as new).

I have caught countless big stripers, mahi, jeez you name it with this reel. Snag and drag bunker, dropped for offshore seabass kinda deep... mine is strapped to an 7'6" Lamiglass and it without a doubt the first rod/reel combo I grab when heading out.

On a 1-10 scale, it has to get a solid 8.......
Wow
After that review I may buy one. All joking aside that was nice commentary

· Registered
227 Posts
I own both and you will be fine with either one. I mainly use my TE400 for schoolies and tossing jigs and poppers. My TE400 has handled drum as well with no problem. The only thing about the TE400 I hate is the clicker; its weak. Otherwise both will serve its purpose for you.

· Banned
70 Posts
Trinadad

We have Trinadad 16. They are great reels have owned them for about 6 yrs now. 6 to 1 ratio the drags are very very smooth,
We use them for fluke stripers drumfish tautog. If you change the line to 60lb braid it can even be used for bluefin.
Tight lines
Captain Ernie
Fintastic

· Registered
5,728 Posts
The Trinidad is a way stronger reel with bigger tougher gears:thumbsup:

· Registered
19,261 Posts
Of course, everyone seems to be overlooking two of the the most obvious differences.

The Calcutta has a pushbutton clutch that you operate with the same hand you hold the rod with.... so if you are jigging and want to let out more line, you simply push with your thumb as opposed to having to use your other hand to release the spool with the Trinidad... or you just keep it in freespool and adjust depth with thumbpressure. The clutch reengages when you turn the handle so there is no need to reach with other hand to throw lever. To me, this is a huge difference is deciding which reel to buy. I like the thumb operated button.

Then there is the levelwind.... Calcutta has one, Trinidad does not... although the levelwind never took much off my casting distance, it does bug some people.

· Registered
6,911 Posts
I'm interested in buying one reel or the other for chucking bunker and herring and liveling both of them also. I also do jigging for stripers and want to know what reel is better for that. I just want opinions on those two reels i'm interested in. I'm not interested in avets, fin nor, just those two thanks
Get the Trinidad and it will handle anything you want to pursue. I'd look at the Trinidad 12 as well.

Nick

· Registered
2,558 Posts
i have a calcutta 400 i love it. use it for jiggin and such... one modification i did was to replace the double paddle handle with a "power handle" or one big handle and like it even better (handle costs about 30 bucks)

· Registered
862 Posts
I have 4 calcuttas and 2 trinadads.This is simply just how much you want to spend.The calcuttas will do the job 95% of tne time.But there is no contest on what reel is better.Strength,speed,line cap,adjustable CLICKER TENSION,and feel,is why my calcuttas collect dust.Level wind is over rated.I rarely look at the spool.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no problems with the 400te but sometimes I need more tension on the clicker and the 400 doesn't give it to me unless i back off the drag and keep the reel engaged. The push button doesn't matter to me too much, but I just didn't know whether to get another 400te or a Trinidad 14. But with all the help I think I'm gonna get the 14.

· Registered
967 Posts
I've got the TE

Very nice reel. I think you'll be better served with the 400 TE. Unless you'll also use the reel for offshore fishing. Then I'd go for the Trinidad. The 400 TE is my "go to" reel for me, and is my Primary reel for Bay fishing. Striper, flounder, croakers,trout. Casting, jigging, drifting baits, light trolling.... It's the first rod out.Wanna get two for one, get the Corsair. I used one, for years, and it's a great "cheap" reel. NEVER had a problem! Not as "Nice " as the 400TE, but a great reel!ALSO!!! Look at the TORIUM. Same as a Trinidad[ pretty much the same design and engineering] without the "bling" of gold anodizing. A little step down, in "substance", but look at the price difference!:huh:

· Registered
862 Posts
The torium is a good reel but,it's like buying a 6 clyinder when you wanted and 8 and didn't have the money.A 12 trinidad will handle anything in the bay.I don't think were looking to go cheap here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.