BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a '76 Pacemaker 26 last week after looking for about a year.:D The boat is in great shape but the old 318 engine and trans have to come out. I have a rebuilt 360 w/trans to install. Anyone know if I can do the swap out with the transmission attached to the engine? Sure would make life easier, but the transmission sits a little aft of the engine cover. I'm hoping a boom truck will be able hoist everything from the stern and work under the T.top. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
you want to install it with the tranny bolted on..you should be able to tilt the tranny down and under the floor..i did that with a shamrock I repowered...sweet boat...good luck....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally from MA, now in GA. We have stripers down here. It will be a fresh water boat for a while, a little overkill but it reminds me of home.

·
Registered
130 Posts
When you drop in the motor you will want to do so with the transmission installed and all the flexible motor mounts connected to the brackets on the front of the engine and on the brackets bolted to the transmission. You will also want to loosen the pinch bolts that facilitate the left and right movement on the mounts. The new engine may not sit in the same exact location as your previous motor, the shaft angle determines where the motor will sit. I assume you have a 0 degree transmission which means the motor will have to be pitched between 10 and 16 degrees in order to bolt to the shaft coupling. This degree of angle can not be made with stud type flexible motor mounts. You will need to construct(if you have not already) engine beds made from aluminum(my metal of choice) that will lag or preferably thru bolt into your stringers that your engine mounts will bolt to. Welded on pads will allow for rough height adjustments and your final alignment will be done with the engine mounts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Josh - thanks for the info. Here is the old set up. I hope to reuse the metal plates and the hard wood blocks. I have new motor mounts for the 360 install. I'll have to start taking some close measurements.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If I were you I would first remove the old motor and transmission and those wood blocks and motor mounts. That way you are down the stringers and have a "clean slate" to work with. Once you have your new motor ready to go drop it in the boat and see how you will have to shim the motor or what type of engine beds you will need to construct. From my experience re-powering inboard boats I have two pieces of advice 1) don't use wood to shim the motor. Wood rots and loses its shape over time. Aluminum flat bar can easily be cut with a miter saw and welded at a machine shop. It is defiantly worth the effort. 2) don't think the first time you drop that motor in that it won't have to come back out again. Many times we spend 3 days with a small crane determining finale engine placement. This is something you don not want to rush.

I would also check out the repower projects in this link. http://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips.php. Tony at Seaboard Marine is one of the top repower guys in the country and his articles cover a lot of things you'll need to know!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
......And I thought keeping a Chrysler replacement would simplify the install. Hopefully I'll find someone around here with some experience with inboards - this is the land of bass boats and outboards. I'm limited on what I can do myself unless I build my own hoist. Thanks again for the comments and the link! I'll keep researching.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, aren't the 318 and 360 the same block? If so, the swap would be exact as what you are pulling out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts