BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
joey2boats said:
Doc, can you or someone id these fish for me.
Lane snapper
# 2 sand perch, related to sea bass, can be confused with a squirrel fish, watch out

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Dr. Bass said:
Lane snapper
# 2 sand perch, related to sea bass, can be confused with a squirrel fish, watch out
Aren't the Sand Perch and the Squirrel fish the same fish? :confused:

Sand Perch
Sand perch or squirrelfish (Diplectrum formosum), are excellent grouper bait. They also taste good, but their small size makes cleaning them too much trouble for me. They are a very pretty fish, with electric blue cheek lines and orange and blue sides. They also have a large mouth and very sharp gill plates - so be careful when handling them. They can be caught on almost any sandy bottom and frequently on rocky bottom as well. You can usually just stop your boat and drop baits overboard and be into squirrelfish - but if you haven't caught one in the first few minutes, move on to another spot. When bottom fishing squirrelfish for grouper, just hook them through the back in front of the dorsal fin and lower them to the bottom. Then hold on tight, because grouper love to eat them. Sand perch are also good bait when filleted and used as chunks.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
BigSexy said:
Aren't the Sand Perch and the Squirrel fish the same fish? :confused:

Sand Perch
Sand perch or squirrelfish (Diplectrum formosum), are excellent grouper bait. They also taste good, but their small size makes cleaning them too much trouble for me. They are a very pretty fish, with electric blue cheek lines and orange and blue sides. They also have a large mouth and very sharp gill plates - so be careful when handling them. They can be caught on almost any sandy bottom and frequently on rocky bottom as well. You can usually just stop your boat and drop baits overboard and be into squirrelfish - but if you haven't caught one in the first few minutes, move on to another spot. When bottom fishing squirrelfish for grouper, just hook them through the back in front of the dorsal fin and lower them to the bottom. Then hold on tight, because grouper love to eat them. Sand perch are also good bait when filleted and used as chunks.​

Don't think so, the squirrelfish is a variant that can be toxic to the hands, has bigger eyes

·
Registered
32,313 Posts
On the Gulf coast, the locals call the sand perch a squirrel fish. Just like they call false albacore bonitos down south. The real squirrel fish looks like this:

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Pictures always tell the story better:D
That's what I was trying to say, thanks Dan
Better watch yourself when handling a squirrelfish

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Here on the SW coast of Florida near Boca Grande, we call the perch we catch for grouperbait squirrelfish. If I happen to get into larger perch I always take the time to fillet them. With a little dexterity and an electric knife, you can pile up some very tasty fillets for dinner on days when keeper grouper don't cooperate. OK, I'll admit it, I have actually targeted larger perch for the table! Very similar to small flounder fillets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts