BASS BARN banner

If your access to the canyons was on a boat 25' or less, would you still go?

• Yes - But only if dual power

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Yes - Just pick my days and be smart

Votes: 43 61.4%
  • Yes - Craft doesn't matter, only knowlege and maintenance does

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • No - No way, no how your a bunch of damn fools!

Votes: 15 21.4%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If your only access was to quality boat in the less than 25' range would you still go? Interested in the differences....

·
Registered
511 Posts
Someone needs spring to come earlier that I thought:D!!
I'm right there with ya brother.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BJ - thats the knowlege part. No one with knowlege is going to be doing it, with consistency, on a carolina skiff or a garvey.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I ran a 26' Albemarle CC for a number of years. If NOAA said 3 to 5 or less we went. Turned around a number of time too. Sometimes ya just gotta drop the lines and go see for yourself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
canyon fishing

Depends on your age.. Crazy youth adventures to canyon started on 25', felt great when we got back; even with usually 1 rough ride out or back;cleaned boat and fish and was ready to go again;;Now I need more boat under me; but still love it out there

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would say yes, but with a couple of caveats....

Only on a light & variable day with no serious threats of squalls.

Only if I were fishing in site of other boats. I would not be wondering off on my own or fishing out of reach of help.

And no way Jose would I overnight in the canyons. S... happens and its a long from home in the pitch dark.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have over 25 canyon trips in a MAKO 23' powered with twin 115 Yamahas. We picked our days and caught our share. Came in on one motor once.That kind of sucks. Ran out once in November to get some longfins. That probably wasn't real smart. We did not see another boat all day.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
only on a light & variable day with no serious threats of squalls.

Only if i were fishing in site of other boats. I would not be wondering off on my own or fishing out of reach of help.

And no way jose would i overnight in the canyons. S... Happens and its a long from home in the pitch dark.
what make is that boat in your signature?? Looks very nice.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Don't worry about it. The gov. will probably outlaw any boats smaller than 50 feet going to the canyons.
They want you to be very safe and it is for your own good, like it or not.
The gov. knows best, just ask Obama.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Its this boat all redone. Ring any bells? I know you know.
The Leprechan I know is a Bertram from South Amboy, but certainly, none-the-less, I like yours better! Sweet machine, guy!

Bear-
I wanted to answer the poll, but I can't enter 1 and 2 together. My thoughts are that even the most thoroughly maintained machine is still subject to error or fault (that's just the way the world works). I hate to site it as an example, but the shuttle did break up, not once but twice, and I'm sure as hell NASA did everything to make sure that they wouldn't. Granted, I'm not a NASA tech and it may be a bit of an extreme example, but the possibility for error always looms in the balance, even with the simplest of tasks. Knowledge is key, but then again you see the reports of veteran commercial captains going down as well (freak weather or error, etc).
The "bunch of damn fools" option... I think that this is where the knowledge and maintainance are more of a factor.
I've been the "damn fool" before and I never want to be there again. Learning by experience - the KEY reality.

Best to you and yours! TC,
B-

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Still going...

My boat is 25' and I am still going. I have twin four strokes, good electronics, confidence in my ability and boat, appropriate safety gear most importantly. Added a raft this year for extra piece of mind as well. Typically have a buddy boat or network of boats to keep in touch with during the day helps a lot too.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Leprechan I know is a Bertram from South Amboy, but certainly, none-the-less, I like yours better! Sweet machine, guy!

Bear-
I wanted to answer the poll, but I can't enter 1 and 2 together. My thoughts are that even the most thoroughly maintained machine is still subject to error or fault (that's just the way the world works). I hate to site it as an example, but the shuttle did break up, not once but twice, and I'm sure as hell NASA did everything to make sure that they wouldn't. Granted, I'm not a NASA tech and it may be a bit of an extreme example, but the possibility for error always looms in the balance, even with the simplest of tasks. Knowledge is key, but then again you see the reports of veteran commercial captains going down as well (freak weather or error, etc).
The "bunch of damn fools" option... I think that this is where the knowledge and maintainance are more of a factor.
I've been the "damn fool" before and I never want to be there again. Learning by experience - the KEY reality.

Best to you and yours! TC,
B-

Amen, and thank you. Same to you.
I will just ad it is rarely ever one thing that causes a disaster in the boat world. It can happen but it is a rarity. It is more a cascade of events that lead to disaster in the marine world.

The purpose of these past two threads was too, other than provide a few laughs for us all, provides examples to folks that, yes they can run offshore in their very own boats given the right conditions. This is not, and never has been, an exclusively big boat game. Certainly bigger boat + biger wallet does not mean better fishermen nor more fun.

While I would never tell anyone to just tuck and go, I only wish everyone understood that it can be done, as I do it. With amounts of satisfaction and fun that are only known but those that dare to run their boats. Which their are obviously a high number of by the polls. IMO - Most of us are hunters and reeling the fish in is just the bonus. The hunt is the most rewarding, atleast to me.

I just want many to know that just cause your boat is small doesn mean you can't participate in the big game once in a while a some would have them beleive.

over the past five years, I prolly made 50 canyon trips alone, tack on another 100 to the 30 line and beyond, this is just conservative guess. I have never had a bad trip or one I wished I wasn't on. All the seas were no more than 2 to 3 and usually dead flat, atleast most of the trip.

granted I had many a year prior that I got my tail handed to me and those lessons learned. However, there's plenty of good weather to get your fill of the big game even on a small boat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.