BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 ft Sea Hunt w/twin 150 Yamahas
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 25 ft Sea Hunt game fisher with twin 150 Yamaha's, it has a fuel tank of 150 gal. Is that enough to get out to Wilmington Canyon and troll or chunk? Trolling may push it but any info is appreciated. by the way, I'm coming from Cape May.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
welcome to the forum
Nice rig, you should be fine.
I have a 25 w/ twin Yam 150s, 139 gal tank. a couple years ago while in OC, made it to the Wilmington & back w/ plenty left over.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Yes the boat is more than capable on a very calm day but keep in mind sometimes where the temp break is the water chops up a bit. More importantly have a plan or buddy boat, good thing is this time of the year there will be plenty of other boats offshore. A ditch bag with handheld vhf, spot or epirb is a must. Feels good to offshore in your own (small) rig….even better with a bloody deck

·
Registered
16,572 Posts
Fuel should not be a problem. 40 gallons out, 40 gallons back max. Trolling fuel burn pretty low with 4 strokes. Trip burn should be 100-110 gallons tops.

Reactions: Fishing Virus

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel should not be a problem. 40 gallons out, 40 gallons back max. Trolling fuel burn pretty low with 4 strokes. Trip burn should be 100-110 gallons tops.
When I troll I use just 1 motor to save fuel too!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Just be very aware of the weather. Could be quite a long painful ride back to the inlet if it goes south on ya. Guess there ain't nuttin better than catching a tuna on your own rig. Ain't in the cards for me but I wish ya good luck!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just be very aware of the weather. Could be quite a long painful ride back to the inlet if it goes south on ya. Guess there ain't nuttin better than catching a tuna on your own rig. Ain't in the cards for me but I wish ya good luck!!
Thanks, yes, eye to the sky more than I ever say or let others know! Out riggers and antenna are like lightning bolt conductors, seas over 4ft and close together is very rough! Boat handles 4 ft seas with no problem, after that it gets a bit shady! lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right, 40 gallons is like 80 miles! That would leave 70 gal to troll! Break it down and it's pretty simple!
Ty

·
Registered
16,572 Posts
You're right, 40 gallons is like 80 miles! That would leave 70 gal to troll! Break it down and it's pretty simple!
Ty
I had a 28 Scout CC with twin 250 HPDI's. Boat held 210 gallons and I never burned more that 140 on a trip to the deep.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Yes under right conditions. But you need to know your range and limit.
For fuel there is 1/3, 1/3, 1/3. Use .333 or less going out, .333 coming in, .333 reserve.

Then there's everything else starting with the weather. And you need to be prepared!! The list of prep is lonnnggggggg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everybody, I know I can make it, my buddy knows I can make it, my partner and brother is the one who thinks not! And now the window of opportunity is limited because of hurricanes and tropical storms! We had a plan to head out on a Friday afternoon, chunk all night and at sunrise troll! Bottom line, if I don't make it out there this year, next year I will be out there with or without him! Always have people that want to go!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I basically had it out with my brother today about hitting the canyons next summer, told him that if the weather was right, we're going to the canyon, he's either casting a bow line or he's sitting on the dock but I'm going! I have several people who want to go in his place if he's not interested! Could have kept my 21 ft Hydro-sport if he didn't want to hit the canyons! $4800 for radar/GPS/Sonar, $3500 for 15 ft Taco outriggers, this boat is set up for off shore fun!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Radar is great. When that fog is thick there's nothing like having your radar dialed in. Practice using it ahead of time on nice days so that you can have the necessary confidence in it when the time comes. I made the mistake of not practicing with my radar ahead of time and then having to run at 5 knots in fog because I didn't have the confidence.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Radar is great. When that fog is thick there's nothing like having your radar dialed in. Practice using it ahead of time on nice days so that you can have the necessary confidence in it when the time comes. I made the mistake of not practicing with my radar ahead of time and then having to run at 5 knots in fog because I didn't have the confidence.

Thanks for the advice, I really on used it just to see it work and coming in at night, and even then I needed time to see how it worked. Very complex!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts