BASS BARN banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Canyon has their spinning reel at the AC Boat Show this week. I have a couple at the shop, will have more after the show. Its a pretty nice reel, with a few changes made since the original test reels 2 years ago. This is a pic of 2 that went out with Bushido Popping Rods, it will at least give you an idea. I have used the test reels, this one is the final product with all of the changes and ready for sale. ;)

4.1:1 Gear Ratio / 27.5ozs / Drag- 66lbs / Twin Ball Bearing Spool / Stainless Drive & Pinion Gears / Stainless-Carbontex Drag / Waterproof body & drag

This is the DJR-6500 on the rod. They will have 3 sizes. One bigger and one smaller than the 6500. The reel pictured has NJ Bluefin written all over it. I think the larger model will be the NC reel as Dan mentioned on another thread. If nothing else, its a good reel and priced right. These reels are in the $330+/- range, depending on size.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Guys, im down at the show with Canyon Reels through sat...stop by the booth and say hello.
We have been selling these reels like crazy!....the show special price is amazing.....and this reel is bad A$$!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I was at the show today and one of the products that caught my eye was the Canyon 6500 spinning reel, that is a sweet looking reel, Looks and feels really nice, they had a really good price on it at the show, but I had emptied my wallet by the time I got to the booth. Really interested to hear how they perform and hopefully if the reviews go well I'll pick one up in the near future. I was looking for Don at the show but missed him, I might run back to the show on sunday and catch up with him then and maybe grab one of the Canyon spinners, I think the show special was around $279 but I'm not positive.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
The new spinner looks great...

The new spinner is going to be a great NJ Inshore Bluefin & NE Canyon jigging reel...can not wait to use it this up coming season.

Stop by the Canyon Reel booth and say hello to Capt. Mike "Fishy" Towny:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
My father bought one 3 hours ago. He was walking around at the boat show and couldn't resist. It's a beast. They gave it to my father for a very good price. That sucker puts out some drag.

Don and the guys at the Canyon booth were very honest. They actually talked me out of a particular reel because they knew it wouldn't suit my needs.

Also, there's a prototype there that I wasn't supposed to see. It's a year away from being released and it looks pretty sick. I asked if I could buy it and the answer was a resounding "NO":D

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This 6500 will be a great reel for our area. The larger model will have more line capacity and that will be the one needed for NC. The smaller reel is a great reel too. I have thrown the new spool and it throws!! To be honest, I was kind of shocked at well the distance is because of a minor spool change from the other test models 2 years ago.

For the price, you can put together a rod & reel combo for what we are used to paying for just a reel. :)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
This 6500 will be a great reel for our area. The larger model will have more line capacity and that will be the one needed for NC. The smaller reel is a great reel too. I have thrown the new spool and it throws!! To be honest, I was kind of shocked at well the distance is because of a minor spool change from the other test models 2 years ago.

For the price, you can put together a rod & reel combo for what we are used to paying for just a reel. :)
I was impressed. The reel puts out more drag than a saragossa for about the same/less price. Reels smooth. I looked at the specs and it seems solid. Hope to put this up against some YFT and hopefully some decent sized BFT off NJ.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Jay,
Nice meeting you and your dad yesterday!
In response to the post about price....225.00 is the show price and the reel has been hands down the # 1 seller at the booth so far.
Jay, that prototype is gonna be a compact mack truck and i hope to give that an honest trial on my boat this season!

·
Registered
636 Posts
Jay,
In response to the post about price....225.00 is the show price and the reel has been hands down the # 1 seller at the booth so far.
Jay, that prototype is gonna be a compact mack truck and i hope to give that an honest trial on my boat this season!
I was there on Wednesday, would have liked to put a face to the guy I talk to on the phone.......reel looked very nice, can't wait to here some reviews

·
Registered
548 Posts

Tom- will the smaller one be good for stripers, blues etc?

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
WOW is all i can say

Guys I looked at this reel at the show yesterday, Don wanted me to test the drag and all I can say is WOW, this thing has 66lb of drag and 11 BB. When I tested the drag it was all I can handle and then Don told me to tighten the drag down and I was amazed at how much more it had to give. This reel was amazing, and the price is what really made this reel. I don't own a single Canyon reel as I am a Shimano guy and have to much $$ wrapped up in them, but this reel may have been the most impressive reel I have ever seen. At a 3rd of the price of a Stella I would strongly consider this reel. Also it looks awesome to boot. Anyone in the market for this type of reel should check it out you will be amazed.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see it has a fully sealed body and drag. With this be a beach reel also?
I have been using it on the beach for the last year. Its not a VS type reel, but it is holding up to water, sand and beach abuse much better than my prior favorite Cabo 40. The spool design has been awesome, it is casting much further than any other spinner I have owned.

Tom- will the smaller one be good for stripers, blues etc?
The smaller model is perfect for bass, blues, whatever. You have to remember, the drag is still 66#, its the line capacity that is lower. There have been several tuna landed on the smaller reel during testing, it will depend on how your fishing, how deep it is, how much your willing to stick to the fish. No doubt the smaller one is more than enough inshore.
We have designed our version of the Bushido 125g rod to both sizes and honestly feel you can land a local bft with the combo. Its been done a few times last year in testing, but its time to let the public play. :)

As for the price.......The Show Price is around $225 as a special to introduce the reels. They will be $299 after the show, available at all Canyon Dealers. We had 2 here but they are gone already. My reel is at shop if any one want to see the reel and cant make it to the show :)

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Jay,
Carl,

Good meeting you too man. You guys were very helpful. My father is pumped about the reel. Keeps asking if he can use it for tuna and I keep telling him "yes" lol. That prototype is going to be a really nice piece of engineering. After Don explained the principles behind how reels perform...it all made sense.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The smaller model is perfect for bass, blues, whatever. You have to remember, the drag is still 66#, its the line capacity that is lower. There have been several tuna landed on the smaller reel during testing, it will depend on how your fishing, how deep it is, how much your willing to stick to the fish. No doubt the smaller one is more than enough inshore.
We have designed our version of the Bushido 125g rod to both sizes and honestly feel you can land a local bft with the combo. Its been done a few times last year in testing, but its time to let the public play. :)

As for the price.......The Show Price is around $225 as a special to introduce the reels. They will be $299 after the show, available at all Canyon Dealers. We had 2 here but they are gone already. My reel is at shop if any one want to see the reel and cant make it to the show :)[/QUOTE]

That sounds great. When will the smaller one be available? Just what I need, another reel :D

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
If anyone wants my NIB Penn Conquer 8000, I'll circle back to the show and snatch on eof the 6500's in a heartbeat. The guys put me on the rod and we cranked it down. Very impressive.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If anyone wants my NIB Penn Conquer 8000, I'll circle back to the show and snatch on eof the 6500's in a heartbeat. The guys put me on the rod and we cranked it down. Very impressive.

Not to side track this thread on the topic I started, but what did you think about the blank on the rod??? Thats the Bushido Popping Blank. Just curious what your thoughts were??

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was at the show yesterday, checked out that Canyon Spinner. Very impressive.

For $225.00 , i don't think you're gonna find a better quality reel. I was kicking myself for not bringing any cash down there with me.:(

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.