BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of deploying an eleven line spread this year. This would be 9 inch rainbow bars on the outside riggers, rigged ballyhoo/islanders onthe inside riggers, inside of that would be 6 inch rainbow bars straight back, 4 flatlines, two of which will be naked splitbilled ballyhoo and inside of that would be rigged ballyhoo/jets, and a Boone Bird and Green Machine down the center. This could be fun and chaotic, just the way I like it!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
seabird29

No way John, you are doing all the work this year and I am driving. On our next overnighter you are paying for fuel, bait, beverages, ice, food, and rigs. I will supply 37 Bertram. You better learn how to use the new Furuno 585 too!!!!!!!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
We troll 11 lines a lot. It depends on the size of the boat and the crew skills. We usually run ballys with light chin weights and 1/4 oz sea witches on the long riggers way way way back. We have had good luck with a green and yellow 9" Zuker feather on the right short rigger and a Green Machine on the left short rigger. We run one spreader bar with rainbow 6" squids on one long flat and another bar with Green Machines or 6" feather Zukers on the other long flat. The short flats are split between one bally with chin weight and a 1/4 ox sea witch and a black and purple 6" Zuker feather. We don't like the grass Zukers much, just the feather ones.

The center line is either back even with the long riggers pulling a bird or is the deep line with the bait even with the short riggers.

If you get covered up, you only have to clear the lines inside the closest fish. Then work on the closest fish first. If the long lines without fish on them can stay out, you get a shot at more fish every time you put the boat in gear to maneuver since they sink and then pull up through the water column only to sink again when you stop.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I like that combo...
we fish, 9, 11, and even 13 lines from a 32 foot Albamarle and never had any problems. If you have good fast acting people in the cockpit its no problem.

We did have a guy on the boat who did alot of talking prior to the fishing trip so I let him try and help in the pit. WHat a mistake. We had tangles all over the place.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
all we need this season is better fuel prices and please-better weather. Last year I had enough 6-9 foot seas.

·
Registered
717 Posts
5 & a pitch….. Some naked:eek: , some weighted:D , even some with skirts ;) (when the ladies are aboard…). We only have at the most 3 anglers on board so there is no reason for any more…

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
We run 8 lines but its a 25 grady and it can be a mess if the driver (me)starts zoning out on the plotter rather then the spread. Yep I am guilty! We run a planner off the back cleat, with a bally set 40 feet behind the planner, (best wahoo, and bluefin bait) trolling. Then we put out two spreaders , we run one close in about 20 feet back( know thats not right) but works for us and run the other one about 50 feet back or thrid wake. Then two daiseys off the outriggers, one rainbow, one all green. last three lines are hooded bally, and one naked. when we hook up we ajust. One of the hooded bally alway go on the way,way,way back line behind a 12 inch pink bird. About 200 yds back. If I could only run one line it would be a green machine, If I could run two it would be the green machine and the planner. Hope this helps. Dark months are almost over, nice to see a fishing post. Good luck this year.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will also have a naked bally for a pitch and a deep hammer jig to go over if I mark something deep.

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
Throwing a pitch bait into a spread of 11 lines is asking for trouble. If the fish does not hang himself on any of the 11 baits in the water already then it wasn't meant to be.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
Dr. mike, see you are ribbing your crew, but a good post about spreads, real fishing for once. So Hate to say it but agree with andy l, throwing a pitch bait into a full spread, no teasers, bad news. Know this was not what you were getting at but this is as close to a fishing thread as we have had of late. And running a 8-9-10-15 line spread, or a 5 line spread right, is a great topic. Let it run. For whites, no stingers on the spreaders or daisys, pitch bait or drop the ballys back. I have only once had the tv marlin behind the boat for minutes and feed him bite. 95% of the time they hit out of nowhere smaching a spreader or the way back bird. Then tossing the hook and spreader 10 feet in the air. The few, very few I got to the boat hit a bally, truth is I have "hooked up" on 12 in five years, lost 10, 9 of those 10 hit out of the blue on a bird or spreader. Landed one on the spreader. And got to tv feed just one a bally. That one we went out for whites( no stingers in the pulled baits.) pitch bait only. And it was the longest day for fishing ever, but it did give us our first (earned white). Pulling a big spread and how to is a great post.what do you run and where. Thats a good fishing post.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like to run an 8-10 rod spread on our 38ft henriques. Typically our crew consists of only 2-3 people so any more than that could create problems. I think the most important thing to consider in setting out spreads is that yes, more is usually better. However, sometimes less can be more. If the fish are there, a 5 rod spread will get it done. I usually start at an 8 rod spread and if there's no action within the first 30 min I get antsy and start setting more lines back.

You can however get caught with your pants down if you have a small crew and several rods out. Last year I had a 2 man crew and 5 rods went down at a time with 40lb yellows. Well, all I can say is that it's a good problem to have, but rest assured the rest of the day we were only pulling 6 lines.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts