BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of early season fishing exists in the Cape May Canal? I've only used it to get from the ocean to the bay but I wanted to do some back bay type fishing on March 20th and was thinking about this area. I've seen guys drifting for fluke but that's about it. Are there stripers or winter flounder? Is it frowned upon to use this area as something other than a navigational channel? How about trolling a couple of plugs or buck tails down the canal? I'm trying to come up with a game plan for my first weekend out for the season. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Fluke, stripers, and weakfish, yes, some days we never have to leave the canal. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the sound of that. I wonder how it will be this early in the year. Hopefully the water will get nice and warm by the 20th. Only two more weeks and one cold snap away.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Are you talking canal or inlet? Not to many boats fish the the canal west of the CM bridge to the bay. They do fish CM harbor & the inlet coming in from the ocean. ;) The ICW is a good spring time area. ;)

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
If the gas prices go up to $3 a gallon, there will be alot of boats fishing the canal this year. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Originally posted by Ding:
If the gas prices go up to $3 a gallon, there will be alot of boats fishing the canal this year. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding
I'll be fishing from dock! :mad:

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are days I wish I had a bigger boat (we all feel that way sometimes) but when the gas prices sky-rocketsmall boats are just fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Fished in Cape May off and on for years. I don't recall evey seeing anyone fishing west of the bridge. Maybe that would be a way to spend time when you're held up by the RR bridge being stuck closed.

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering what would happen if you trolled a Stretch through the canal when big bass and blues were around. Could be boring but maybe - just maybe - big blues and bass travel through the canal and would see it.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
SCOTT--I AGREE WITH H-25cc--IN OVER 50 YEARS I CAN NOT REMEMBER SEEING ANYONE FISH THERE.IN FACT WHEN CANAL IS BUSY WEATHER YOU TROLL OR DRIFT YOU WOULD BE A HAZZARD.THE INLET AND HARBOR WOULD BE BETTER.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Coming out of the canal one a very foggy morning on the way to 60 FT We marked a LARGE group of LARGE fish 1/8 mi east of the ferry if the fog had not been thick we might have stopped to fish. also just past the 109 bridge where the miss chris is docked

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
I *always* mark a ****load of fish passing the ferry - I'm beginging to think Garmin has special software that just creates targets to get me pissed off.

I usually will drop a line there on the way back in most nights. Never got anthing but shorts - but sometimes at night the lights draw bugs and there is some action.

·
Registered
16,324 Posts
I've caught more striper, fluke and conger eels off the south bulkhead of the 109 bridge than you can shake a stick at!! Though, the nat's and squitos, and especially the snags ;) will eat you alive!! Fish at your own risk!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The last bridge before the ferry, is a casting haven, if your their at the right time. PLEASE TAKE YOUR TRASH WITH YOU!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've fished boat and beach in CM for a long time and have never dropped a line in the canal, other than the jettys. I agree with some of the posts above though. If you think about it the lights and churning from the ferry would create some interesting habitat that close to the bay and also around the 109 bridge where the harbor, canal and outlet from the Miss Chriss marina come together would have to have some interesting bottom features. Might be worth an early season or late night try when traffic is light.

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wouldn't fish there if there was any boat traffic. The inlet would probably be better and the rocks would probably hold bass. My plan for Saturday is to try the rips (weather permitting) the fish the jetties at the inlet, then try the back for stripers and winter flounder. I made some chum last night.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
If you remember last year a guy pulled an almost record breaking fluke from the canal just inside the ferry. Our very own Adam Bomb fishes the canal on the ocean side between the jettey's. I have seen several boats fishing there. Just be very careful. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
Paddy,
There will be many fishing from the dock with you if the prices of fuel go that high. By the way, we were once throwing carcasses of fluke, many over 25 in. in the harbor from your marina, and some very large stripers were swallowing the carcasses whole. Don't give out the numbers. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
183 Posts
Originally posted by CYCLOPS30:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ding:

Ding
I'll be fishing from dock! :mad: </font>[/QUOTE]just host your sails and you be able to fish with no fuel cost at all.
I heard your giving spinaker set lessons at the sportsmans show in ac this weekend!!! :rolleyes: :confused:

blowboater extreme
S/V Artemus
Tolchester Beach MD
sailboats rule the seven seas
stinkpots wish they could

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ding, i belive you about the stripers eating the whole flounder carcasse. i dock in cape may and when i get back to the dock and the fish are being fileted i use a broom stick with about 5 or 6 feet of string tied to it with a 7/0 hook and a nice strip of flounder. theres nothing better then watch them inhale the bait and as soon as they eat it you pull them on to the dock you cant use a rod because they will wrap you around the pilings its nice you come back with a nice catch of flounder then you add 1 or 2 stripers to that it sound carzy but its true

1 - 20 of 20 Posts