BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what is the most southern beach street in Cape Mat that is outside the demarcation line? If I am correct, it's ok to fish in fron tof the lighthouse, but not in front of Sisters of St. Joseph.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I believe that the cutoff point is the lighthouse; i.e. anything seaward of the lighthouse is OK, and that anything west of it is closed. But I would double-check this if you're not sure; any tackle shop will have a chart with the Colregs Demarcation Line clearly marked, and you can go from there.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Doesn't look that way on the chart above

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
It looks like you are right Jer, I just blew the map up big enough so I could read it and it is the line that goes from the Convent so that would make the State park legal and from the Convent North illegal. I can go anytime when do you want to go, lets take advantage of the nice weather we are having.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
i stand corrected, did not see that, Duh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here's the legal description of Delaware Bay Colregs

33 C.F.R. § 80.503 Delaware Bay.
Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters

Title 33: Navigation and Navigable Waters
PART 80—COLREGS DEMARCATION LINES
fifth district

§ 80.503 Delaware Bay.A line drawn from Cape May Light to Harbor of Refuge Light; thence to the northernmost extremity of Cape Henlopen.
[CGD 77–118a, 42 FR 35784, July 11, 1977. Redesignated by CGD 81–017, 46 FR 28154, May 26, 1981, and CGD 87–008b, 52 FR 25218, July 6, 1987]

There is a difference between Territorial Sea Line of Demarcation and Delaware Bay Colregs. Which one is NJDFW using?

Called NJDF&W this afternoon about the Lines of Demarcation at CMP.....The officer told me that the Delaware Bay Colreg is used for NJDF&W regulation not the Territorial Seas Line of Demarcation.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Here's the description of Delaware Bay Colregs

33 C.F.R. § 80.503 Delaware Bay.
Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters

Title 33: Navigation and Navigable Waters
PART 80—COLREGS DEMARCATION LINES
fifth district

§ 80.503 Delaware Bay.A line drawn from Cape May Light to Harbor of Refuge Light; thence to the northernmost extremity of Cape Henlopen.
[CGD 77–118a, 42 FR 35784, July 11, 1977. Redesignated by CGD 81–017, 46 FR 28154, May 26, 1981, and CGD 87–008b, 52 FR 25218, July 6, 1987]

There is a difference between Territorial Sea Line of Demarcation and Delaware Bay Colregs. Which one is NJDFW using?
Back in the 80's for a couple years Stripers had to be 1 size in the Bay and another size in the Ocean. If that wasnt bad enough they literally flipped-flopped the differences 1 year. On a couple trips the Capt. wasn't sure if he would 'cross' the line into ocean looking for Bass. We started out in the Bay where the fish were a couple inches shorter to be legal to keep. I caught a legal size in the bay - but would have been Illegal had he gone into the Ocean. A couple others did to--half decided to release the 'Bay' fish in case we crossed that line into the Ocean.The other 1/2 decided to take a risk--i was 1 taken that risk on 1 trip. Mind you-Catching 'A' Striper that could be kept was slim on most trips back then-Not like today and NOT like the slot fish sizes(24 to 28 in.) we had in the early 90's..........
These fish had to be between 28 and 33 inches in the Bay and 33 plus in the ocean(my fish I caught in the Bay that day was 32 1/2 inches). All the Captain was doing -so it seemed - was eyeballing a line between the clearly visible lighthouse in Del. and the CMP Lighthouse. At Least I was - praying that he would not cross that line into the ocean to keep my Striper Legal. I really dont think that the enforcement officers would bust balls unless you were clearly past that invisible line(to the naked eye).

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thts amazing how is was really good then got really bad and now it's jus the stuff dreams r made of. Conservation is key. Throw back all the 40plus fish tht should be the next regulation! Then we will see some truly big bass in our waters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.