BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of heading down from philly this thurs nite to hit cape may beachs friday. Anybody been out? I'm thinkin clams and blood worms....any advice???

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
good luck if u go i havent heard much but am dying to get out myself-if sunday is nice i might give it a shot-good luck and please post report-thanks good luck

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'll be down. Hoping to wet a line that evening, provided I get through my checklist opening the house in time. Just got to remember to grab some bait on the way into town.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
LONEWOLF856 said:
with the warmer weather this week, i think you have a good chance, the bay reports say they are catching lots of shorts, so with this in mind i would use smaller hooks, 6/0 or smaller
WARM weather ?? :eek:

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
The temps are dropping after the front comes through tomorrow - Friday and Saturday lows are predicted in the very low 30's. You may get NE 15 to 20 kt winds in the afternoon. I'll probably give it a shot on Sunday.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks alot guys....good lookin out on the 6/0's lonewolf, got some yesterday and they are already in the bag. I will be taking 55 down...I usually hit budds bait in the villas...but i have'nt gotten an answer there....any thoughts on where i could hit for some bait?? Jims is always a staple, but i am lookin to expand my options...
And don't worry feast or famine i will let you guys know what happens...(I'm thinkin famine..but who cares I can't wait!!)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Good luck! U can try capt tates I believe they will be open tomm with fresh as well-if not there u can try off the hook,miss chris or harbor view... One of then has to be open with some bait-also girls place-catch em up!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Looking pretty weak for tomorrow evening, not much better Saturday...
Still, I'm hoping to drown some clams.. Probably doing it Friday afternoon/eve, as it's looking like I have a full "to-do" list for Sat.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Putem OnIce said:
Looking pretty weak for tomorrow evening, not much better Saturday...
Still, I'm hoping to drown some clams.. Probably doing it Friday afternoon/eve, as it's looking like I have a full "to-do" list for Sat.
Good luck! let us know how you do and where you found clams.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bait in Cape May

I think Jim's opens on Saturday. There's a new place on Sunset Blvd. next to gas station - Cape May Bait & Tackle 609-898-6001.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Who made it down and how did you do?

·
Registered
4 Posts
lonewolf

CM Bait & Tackle open every day year round.... www.capemaybaitandtackle.com not sure if they are open at 5am or 6am but you can check the site or call for that info. They opened this past fall (late) - have a nice selection and are open for suggestions if you don't see what you like. Also have rod/reel rentals, and definitely talk to Ron about custom made plugs and rods...

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I'm guessing not too good from the lack of reports. The resident bass are biting, but we are still about a week or so away from the migrating stripers beginning to move into the backwaters imo. We really need a few 60+ degree days in a row. This 60 one day and 45 the next isn't cutting it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Nothing much to report, fella's....
Was able to score some fresh clams from Miss Chris Friday afternoon.
Soaked said clams for 2 hours, turn and outgoing. No takers, not even chewed by crabs. Water was COLD and brown.
Same results Saturday.
Still, it was nice to do some recon around the Point... Jetties are nicely exposed now, should hold plenty of action once things warm up a bit.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Fished Cape May surf saturday top half of incoming with salted clam. Windy and cold and not a bite, crabs were at work chewing up the bait.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
story time

Well thurs nite after narrowly dodging the walt wittman disaster bullet (by 5 car lengths) i managed to sneak over the ben franklin before that got tied up by an accident....then it was smooth sailing all the way down the expressway at about 100mph....(every state trooper was busy on the bridge). By the time i got down there it was too late for any bait shops , so i just got everything together and hit cj's bar. fri morn started calling around for some fresh clams....nothin!....finally got somebody a Tates, but it was too far for me to go. So i headed over to off the hook ...not oped yet (@ 7:15) on the way out of there i saw Hands pLace he was open but only with frozen salted clams...so i took' em and headed out to the point. Got a speeding ticket on ther way there...i was a little too excited to get to the rocks. Finally got there and set up about 8. Had 1 clam floating, and another on a top and bottom rig while i was tossing some metal. About 9 i got 3 good bumps...and nothin after that. After about an hour and a half i went over to the back bay...hit jims on the way and got some fresh clams ....nothin there either. then i headed to the beaches around 1pm...at this time it was BEAUTIFUL! 75° and bright sunshine spent a few hrs there...nothin but there were some porpuses..(and a few chick in bikinis)..at that point i saw the clouds workin there way over so i took what clams i had left to sunset beach to no avail.
So all in all it was a great day...would have been nice to catch something but thats why its called fishin...not catchin!
Sorry for the loong post but i thought it was worth it.

OH and all the bait shops i was at or talked to ( off the hook, tates, hands, and Jims said they were getting fresh clams and bloods by the end of the day friday...and were as always friendly and helpful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts