BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have they fixed it yet? If not, are they planning on fixing it before the season starts?
Anyone know?

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It wasn't fixed a month ago when I used it. I was going to take a look in the next couple days. I'll let you know.
Thanx.
I dont wanna use that other ramp now that i went a bit bigger. Plus the mud. Wish they had a floating dock to.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Wouldnt it be better,

To pay money to support the ramp and sort of take away the "Govt" aspect of that public boat ramp. If money went to make it right from fishermen, take all the input away from any govt agency that thinks they know best when it comes to building anything....including a boat ramp....That ramp....SUCKS! I hate using it. I usually go to Stone Harbor and pay despite the fact I have a summer home in Cape May. It just exposes everything that govt does, and does wrong.
I actually dont think it should be free. I think they should charge, hire a contractor that knows what he is doing. Widen it so 2 people that have no idea how to use a boat ramp can use it at the same time. Put floaters on both sides, and police the Cape May freebies that think they can tie up their POS sailboat for the night and ride bikes into Cape May, then sleep on the boat at the ramp.
When I go there and see that type there, I am so rude to them.......I hate that ramp. I wish they would charge. Free means FUp'ed! :fighting:
That would be a good project for the Barn to do........Fix it and Fund it. Im in. Just make it happen.

·
Registered
380 Posts
That ramp is messed up. Don't they have a backhoe to make it less steep? I wouldn't use it without a heavy duty truck 4wd.

·
Banned
86 Posts
I dont care how steep it is.........The fact that there is no Base to drive on is just one of the problems. A backhoe cant fix that. That ramp is falling down like most of the homes in Cape May. You cant tear them down, "its historic"......but no one with a brain wants them. Cpae Mya is backwards.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used it today for the first time...I tried to launch my 15 footer.. pot holes and missing pavers all over the place. What a mess. Happy to pay the taxes here in Brigantine to have a good ramp!

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
EB the ramp wont be fixed till april so you cant fish the bay for bass until then...:razz:

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
why not just use breeze e lee?
Because it is closed right now.

Plus for some barners, they like free :D

If you start charging for the free ramp you create a whole another bureaucracy. If you start charging you have to build a building for the ramp attendant to sit, you have to pay that person. You have to develop a network of places that sell the pass. The free ramp was paid for by the Sport Fish Restoration and Boating Trust Fund. They get the money from anglers through excise taxes on sport fishing equipment, import duties on fishing tackle, yachts and pleasure craft and a portion of the gasoline fuel tax attributable to small engines and motorboats

The orginal firm that designed the ramp should be liable for using such a poor design for the ramp. The old saying "Do it right the first time" comes to mind.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is just a matter of priorities for the Cape May Governing bodies. I fish in FL in the winter and there free ramps are a birthright. They are all well maintained too.

Crazy bill

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Is just a matter of priorities for the Cape May Governing bodies. I fish in FL in the winter and there free ramps are a birthright. They are all well maintained too.

Crazy bill
I don't think the ramp is in Cape May. Your aren't in Cape May until you go across the small bridge past sj marina. The ramp is actually located in Lower Township.

·
Registered
40 Posts
We used the ramp on the 3rd of Feb to pull the boat for the season and it was usable then.
Had no trouble dunking a tri-axle trailer and didn't even get the bottom of my boots wet.
We were there about a hour before high tide and were able to ride the boat right up onto the trailer.
I asked about the ramp on here and another barner told me about the pink paint on the float, just don't let your back wheels go past that and your fine.

Hopefully they fix the ramp before the spring run but if not there are several pay ramps in the area that should be opened by then.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
To pay money to support the ramp and sort of take away the "Govt" aspect of that public boat ramp. If money went to make it right from fishermen, take all the input away from any govt agency that thinks they know best when it comes to building anything....including a boat ramp....That ramp....SUCKS! I hate using it. I usually go to Stone Harbor and pay despite the fact I have a summer home in Cape May. It just exposes everything that govt does, and does wrong.
QUOTE]
Yup. When i want to know hard facts I always ask ppl on the Net for advice. The grapevines say a mailman, two State DPW folks & the priest that overseas new Gov inagurations designed it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I actually dont think it should be free. I think they should charge, hire a contractor that knows what he is doing. Widen it so 2 people that have no idea how to use a boat ramp can use it at the same time. Put floaters on both sides, and police the Cape May freebies that think they can tie up their POS sailboat for the night and ride bikes into Cape May, then sleep on the boat at the ramp.
When I go there and see that type there, I am so rude to them.......I hate that ramp. I wish they would charge. Free means FUp'ed! :fighting:
That would be a good project for the Barn to do........Fix it and Fund it. Im in. Just make it happen.
There is a ramp in North Wildwood at 4th street that you can buy a season pass or pay [email protected] day to use. Originally this ramp was free but then they turned it into a pay ramp. It has attendants on duty and a ticket dispenser if you get there early.
The ramp is great, they have a separate ramp for ski's and smaller boats. Most of the people that use it seem like they have a clue about launching a boat. Parking is plentiful, I think they even have a place to power wash the boat when you come out. Only draw back is its a 30 min ride to the bay.

·
Banned
86 Posts
Thanks, I did not know of the other two ramps mentioned. I just think its worth the money to pay. The ramp in Lower Twp, which many call Cape May is free, and for the most part, worth what they charge. I dont think 100 dollars a season is too much to pay like I do in Stone Harbor. If they are going to use money to pay for it from all the sources listed..........I would say, thats a waste of money.
I know last year alot of people simply tied up for the weekend, or night thinking......Hey, good luck getting out or in when I tie my boat here. Its not worth using for the most part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts