BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I headed out this evening with Capt Jason aboard the Cape May Lady. We had only a few anglers, but we want to get in these trips while we still can and the fishing is good. We marked fish all through the area. When we anchored, the bites were still light, but several proved to be sharks. So we moved and reanchored. Then things turned on. We hooked up with a monster that we never really got a good look at. Unfortunately, we were over-zealous with this fish, having caught the 15-30lb fish with ease. We horsed it, didnt have the drag set properly and snapped the line on em. The line was 50lb power pro. The youngest angler on board, Matina from Philadelphia, caught his first Drum Fish and largest fish ever a 20 lb Drum, which almost pulled him in. I decided to not take any chances for the rest of the night. I reset my drag, but continued fishing with light 25lb fluro leader and a small 4/0 Owner Hook. Well, then it happened. Out of no where, unlike all the other drum bites I have experienced recently, WHOMP!!! I lock into something BIG! So Big, I start thinking why didnt I at least go to a 40 lb leader, or a 6/0 hook? Oh well. The big fish first ran off the stern and then headed for the bow. We caught a glimpse of it with the flash light, which seemed to make it angry and peel line off as it headed for the stern again picking up speed with the current. The Big Bad Delaware Bay Black Drum did this 10 times. Finally, he came up with some nice short pumps, and Captain Jason sank the gaff home in the sweet spot. After the evening was done, we ended up with Drum up to 71.5 lbs and even several croakers, which seemed odd for this year.
A great trip for all. I cant wait till next trip out.
For more info about these special open trips click here
No stripers this round, but Im sure the big fish will show up one of these weeks, even if its only for a couple days.
Here's my monster

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the post Jason,
Now I'm motivated to bring my boat down to my slip and get it out of my driveway! I've been waiting for a "real" drumfish report for a few weeks now!
Regards,
Capt. Jay Re: www.jessieofishing.com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.