BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a warden today about the new ramp in Cape May. He said it was supposed to be done before this but the contractor stopped working and now the state is going to have to sue him. Doesn't look like it will be open anytime soon to me. :(

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Just great, I was looking forward to a couple of local day trips prior to the marinas opening up. Tough to be at the mercy of the marinas when the it is warm and reports of fish being caught.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I went to take a look yesterday before work. Does anyone know if they are going to pour concrete on the lower part of the ramp or is it just going to be those squares with the stones all around them?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Great white that is the new ramp, the dirt one is gone, and is blocked now, this thing is going to drag on for awhile I guess. Tim

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Aimless,
now everone's gonna have to go to Avalon Manor. ;) The rich get richer! :D

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
Cape May County

The May stands for "the work "May" get done or it "May" not :rolleyes:

·
Registered
678 Posts
The ramp is bocked off with a crane. I did see what looked like freshly poured concrete on the entrance and exit driveway aprons that still had the poly covering to protect it from frost- looked very green to me , like only a day or two old.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Good luck trying to pull a boat up that ramp. Last week, before work, I stopped there to take a look. the squares look like slate, and the algae that was on them almost put me on my a$$. If it stays that way, I am not going to even attempt to use that ramp. I will, however go there for a good laugh and watch other people try it. I know that isn't very nice, but the stand-up guys on comedy central have kinda sucked lately. I need some entertainment.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I know the contractor and the last I knew it was supposed to be open mid May. I will check to be sure. The concrete squares are Cable concrete, they come in sections (about 6'x12') that overlay each other, most new ramps use this style, the grooves are usually filled in with small rip rap.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hope this thing works out for everyone because it seems very poorly planned. The traffic on, and after, that bridge into Cape May is terrible and can back up pretty bad. In addition, there have been a lot of accidents there already so it has been a regular news story about how to improve the situation. With so much focus on the problems of that road I'm amazed they decided to put a boat ramp right off it.

The lot is rather tight so I can see trucks, boats and trailers forced into some pretty tight situations around that main road making bad traffic and a dangerous situation far worse.

Then if/when people miss the turn, getting back there isn't too bad if you know to follow the road and loop around but I suspect people will try and turn around in S Jersey Marina which will be bad for everyone.

And you know some people will try and swing through Jim's tackel with the trailer and boat (it will be quicker to walk). On a weekend that could be very difficult and nothing but hazardous crossing traffic on the way out.

Then at the end of the day, the on-ramp to get back on the bridge is tight and up-hill which will be a bit tricky, claim some transmissions, and I suspect back up the access road and the main road.

While I am glad to see the added boat access, our elected officials clearly didn't think this one through as it makes one of the worst County roads for safety and traffic, far less safe and adds significant complex trafic. I'm not saying that pulling a trailer makes anyone dangerous I actully think you tend to be much more attentive. But there is more to maneuvering with a trailer and the tourists down here are known for rushing ahead of you the slamming on their left blinker and brakes to make a right turn.

There are some nice open and easy access locations where a launch, with even a small park could have been established. If this causes problems, as I suspect it will, I hope those responsible for this planning are held accountable.

[ 04-06-2006, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have always trailered my boat and have mostly fished out of Cape May. However, once Hinch's closed ther ramp and I spent three hours trying to get out of Breeze Lee, I've rented a slip.

It may be poor planning, but at least NJ realized and acted on the need for a public ramp in Cape May which I believe is the state's best fishery.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.