BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,423 Posts
we fish that reef a lot.depending on the current,wind, and drift speed, you can use as little as 3oz or as much as 10oz, bring a variety of weight and experiment for that day
good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
It depends on the day. You'll be fishing about 60 ft. of water. I've been out and had no problem holding bottom with 4 oz. Those days are rare though. On a average day, I'll start out with a mono outfit, 20 lb. test, and use 8 oz. I'll go up or down from there. I always bring an outfit spooled with power pro too. I've been out there many days where I had to use 12-16 oz of lead on the braided line rod just to hold bottom. Hope that gives you an idea of what to expect anyway. Leave the freshwater spinning rods and 2 oz weights at the dock.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Gary, That depends I've seen times where 3-4 oz will hold and times when 10oz won't hold. It all bepends on the sea conditions at the time( wind, tide waves and speed of drift).
The best bet is to keep a variety of sinker sizes on board with you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Ditto what Donny O said. I start with 5oz and move up or down from there. You want to keep your line vertical so you can lift your rig over structure. Otheriwise yuo will be tying on a lot of replacement rigs!

·
Registered
32,432 Posts
You never specified whether you'll be drifting or anchored. That makes a huge difference. If you're anchored, 4 is usually plenty. If you're drifting, then you have a wide range of weights you'll need to have.

·
Registered
16,554 Posts
MartyGras III said:
How much weight will be needed to hold bottom at the reef?

Thanks, Gary
Using braid really helps. I was anti braid, now a true believer, at least for bottom fishing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hope so...it can be a great spot at times and it doesn't require mega $$ in gas to get there!

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's hard to believe that one has to run out of Cape May to Site 11 or the Old Gounds to catch flounder ocean side. I would think there would be some fish ocean side closer in that didn't require over $100 in gas to get to. I know fish can be caught at the Wildwood Lump, McCries, Cape May Canal and FA buoy but I don't think these areas are producing. I'm taking my wife out on Saturday and would appreciate any input on some closer flounder fishing grounds ocean side.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hotrods...I did fairly well in the DB last saturday on the inside of 14' light and Mia Maul. Wound up with 4 keepers up to 5 lbs. and plenty of throwbacks. I hit the old grounds the week before and slayed em, but that's a haul. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Right Angler, I'll keep it in mind. My friend had 9 keepers in that area on Sunday. I see your from Pottstown, If you ever want to get a trip together shoot me a email [email protected]. I try to go every weekend and sometimes have trouble finding people who like too fish as much as I do.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts