BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question ive just got my first boat its a 18ft 1970 starcraft offshore v with a 96 75hp force whats your guys opinion on taking it to the rips?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
wow, the rips can get pretty nasty quickly. i have a 25 ft walkaround and we were blind sided out of no where and almost turned over about 4 years ago during the fall striper season. so i would say be careful and pick your says with flat seas and stay in close in the smaller rips and you should be ok. also keep your bow into the rips. but no matter how big or small your boat you need to be real careful in the rips because danger lurks. when i was a kid i fished the rips with small boats but had no fear back then. young and foolish.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
rips...no way. ....Del bay -yes. pick your days...lots of good striper spots available to you.

In fact I don't do the rips in my 23fter....I just don't like fishing uptight...I like to relax when fishing. The rips you have to be on your toes at all time and the extra tension doesn't add up to me...no matter how good the fishing is.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Few years ago fishing with a well known Cape May Charter captain we headed out to rips with wind howling 25-30 but fish were there ,first 4 drifts we both had decent fish BUT on 5th drift we were hit by a surprise wave just as both of us hooked up and me being in the stern got thrown completely out of the boat. This was in November and only 3 other boats in area..My rain gear kept me afloat but with rod in my hand and a fish on other end I had to let go as Capt was coming back for me .Getting back in the boat was one helleva trip with rain gear full of water but I made it
Now, knowing the fish were there and thick we headed back to marina ,than to laundry shop where we took off our wet clothes and put them in dryer,once dry we headed back to boat and went out again but fish had moved and after 5 drifts and only 2 fish we decided to call it a day
This was a 26 ft boat so I would caution anyone who doesn't know the rips to be extremely careful and cautious

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just a question ive just got my first boat its a 18ft 1970 starcraft offshore v with a 96 75hp force whats your guys opinion on taking it to the rips?

If the rips are rough, it might be a good idea to troll slowly the edge of the rips and cast your lines into the rips. It would be safer. You can still catch fish that way. But, If I were you in a 18 foot boat, stay out of the rips for your own safety.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Rips

Jeeze, I feel like the odd man out here. I run a 17 ft Triumph center. I've run the same boat for quite a few years in all manner of water and conditions. What I'm saying is, I know the boat very well. That being said. I fish the rips regularly. I've seen Skip out there often. Certainly, you have to watch your weather and tide. I also keep my super quiet, extremely reliable, 4 stroke engine running at all times. On a drift or not. I also never leave the helm, I fish from there and am diligent in my observations of other boats and wave action. I'm not saying you can run around out there at all times but if you're carefull, maintain a proper watch and know your weather, a smaller vessel is capable of fishing the rips. Far more harrowing is running in and out of the CM inlet at times. Same thing, watch your tides, know your winds and don't try to run thru at "rush hour". I've seen conditions in there daunting enough for me to run around to the ferry canal to come back in.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
24ft cc and i have been nervous. I darn near crapped myself one day this year. I thought i was gonna take water over the bow. I wont be caught out in the rips on anything under 22ft. Ive seen 16ft skiffs out there so u can do it. It just may not be safe or smart

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
first boat ,rips? no way. if you r launching from maurice river thats quite a haul already. the bay gets nasty quick!!!!!!!! a boat that size youre crazy. there are plenty of striper rite in the river and bay. i think once you go out of the river youll see in a hurry its not a good idea at all....learn the bay and winds in the bay. it will take awhile to get to rips and weather turns to quick in bay to b that far. even a nice ride out can change in 10 minutes for a scary ride back from that far.

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Can you-sure I saw a 14' out there this year:eek::nuts: and it was squirrley with my 23'.

Should you Probably not but watch wind tide and go from there.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
I have a 18 footer and use to come out of Port Norris. There is plenty of spots to fish some with in 2 to 3 miles. I went down south a few times and the bay turned and was very happy to make it back. I also made it down to Cape May on a beautiful day. Pick your days learn winds and tides and how they effect your boat. West winds are the toughest to deal with imo.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
You will catch plenty of nice fish our of Maurice river with fresh bunker and never have to worry about the danger of the rips. Pick your days and be careful of wind against the tide in the bay, it can go from 1 ft waves to 3-4 foot waves with a tide change. Run 5-8 miles any direction towards Delaware and find 15-25 feet of water and you will catch fish, nice ones too!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
.My rain gear kept me afloat but with rod in my hand and a fish on other end I had to let go as Capt was coming back for me .Getting back in the boat was one helleva trip with rain gear full of water but I made it
/QUOTE]

Wow. Great question. Will rain gear help you or drown you?? Grundens to be exact..

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
.My rain gear kept me afloat but with rod in my hand and a fish on other end I had to let go as Capt was coming back for me .Getting back in the boat was one helleva trip with rain gear full of water but I made it
/QUOTE]

Wow. Great question. Will rain gear help you or drown you?? Grundens to be exact..
When I'm out, I wear an Artic Armor floatation/survival suit. I can fish in it all day or night, super warm. I love that thing. They're pricey but I think,worth it.
To answer your question. It seems to me, if the rain gear trapped any air at all, it would help. If it didn't, I don't think it would make a difference one way or the other.
Get yourself a pair of SOSuspenders. Tie a plastic safety type whistle to it as well. You might appreciate it some cold November night. As you bob about in an angry, cold sea. Watching the coast guard boats go by as they search for you. :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts