BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2011 surf fishing for stripers in Cape May/Cape May Point was a tough year for me......

The striper season from the surf at CM/CMP was preceded by a winter (Jan 2011) beach replenishment.

March 15-June 15 2011
7 trips - 1 total - 27" bass

Oct 1-Dec 31 2011
7 trips 3 total 14", 19" & 22" bass

March 15-June 15 2010
No Activity

Oct 1- Dec 31 2010
5 trips 3 total 24", 34", 38" bass

All were taken with bait....Blood Worms, Bunker, Clams, Eels. No striper was taken by use of any artificial lure. All caught on outgoing tide.

How did the rest of you do?

I need at least five to ten CM/CMP surf fishermen to share their results for a research project, I am working on.
Only the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

Would any of you that have regularly fished CM/CMP be willing to meet with the ACOE's? Old timers needed...

I have noticed bird action & large quantities of bait near the beach only once all year.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Cm/cmp

I fish both regularly(2-4x a week) from May to Oct. Total catch
from 1999 thru 2011 has dropped with the exception being 2008
but that was due to 3 days of insane fishing in early June. However
flounder fishing has been getting better in the same time frame. Also
lots of spike weakies in the last 4 yrs. Is it beach replenishment projects
or more porpises reducing the striper catch?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I don't mean to offend, but it seems like you're doing something wrong. You should be able to exceed those numbers combined in a single half a tide if you put any amount of time in on any of the Cape May County beaches. The bite has been fairly consistent on all the CMC beaches and is no big secret??

RyanF

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is not a matter of offending me... if the fish are within casting distance of the beach, I should be able to catch a few... Results depend on being at the right spot at the right time and having the appropriate fishing skills. I'm always willing to learn. If you have the time to teach, I'm all ears.

Apparently, judging by your post, you are suggesting that you had significantly better results at Cape May/Cape May Point than I did or that the striper fishing was better along the other CMC beaches.

I did land a nice 33" bass Dec 30th, fishing north of CM Inlet (other CMC beaches).

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
It is not a matter of offending me... if the fish are within casting distance of the beach, I should be able to catch a few... Results depend on being at the right spot at the right time and having the appropriate fishing skills. I'm always willing to learn. If you have the time to teach, I'm all ears.

Apparently, judging by your post, you are suggesting that you had significantly better results at Cape May/Cape May Point than I did or that the striper fishing was better along the other CMC beaches.

I did land a nice 33" bass Dec 30th, fishing north of CM Inlet (other CMC beaches).
I should clarify that I in no way meant to say that you should be exceeding those totals every single time you fish if you are on the right beach for the right half of a tide. And I am in no way saying that I am some kind of sharpie who can see into the brains of SJ bass, I am far far from it. It is just that, if you put any amount of time in, even only a couple of times a week during the peak season, you should have hit a few waves of fish.

I am done for the season. Shoot me an email towards the end of April if you wanna fish...

RyanF

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
Ryan F

Ryan I fished a lot of the same beaches Capt Hook does and I put in a lot of time on the beaches in the spring and fall most of my trips are around 12 hr trips and twice a week and the good days were very few and far between on CM & CMP beaches I was at a point where I did not even consider CM or CMP beaches in late fall so I started going farther north and I started catching a few fish every trip, not a lot but I did catch some nice bass and blues and even caught a few puppy drum. I am sure there were nice bass caught in CM & CMP for the guys that were in the right spot at the right time but there was absolutely not a consistent bite there but there was much more consistent bite any where north of CM and the farther north you went the better it was. It seems there is a much more consistent bite in the spring but no where as good as it was in years past:huh:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Ryan I fished a lot of the same beaches Capt Hook does and I put in a lot of time on the beaches in the spring and fall most of my trips are around 12 hr trips and twice a week and the good days were very few and far between on CM & CMP beaches I was at a point where I did not even consider CM or CMP beaches in late fall so I started going farther north and I started catching a few fish every trip, not a lot but I did catch some nice bass and blues and even caught a few puppy drum. I am sure there were nice bass caught in CM & CMP for the guys that were in the right spot at the right time but there was absolutely not a consistent bite there but there was much more consistent bite any where north of CM and the farther north you went the better it was. It seems there is a much more consistent bite in the spring but no where as good as it was in years past

I am not talking about CM or CMP. I am talking about CMC beaches in general. That is such a popular stretch of sand that I am sure many people just say CM/CMP whenever they talk about catching surf bass in SJ. Also, like I said, I am no surf sharpie who could tell you about the bite down in the SJ surf a decade ago, you know more about those beaches then I probably ever will. Actually, a lot of people know these beaches more then I probably ever will. I am cool with that....

I also agree that the fall was weak and started late. I agree the spring is king, but that has been a trend up and down the striper coast and is nothing localized to SJ.

Here is my only saving logic for the December push, if you want to even call it a push:

For a few weeks there it was tough to complain when a few fish finally showed up. You would fish for one bite and it was a decent fish. It is tough to run up to the northern surf when the biggest fish out of the zillions caught up there probably wasn't even as big as the one bite you might get a night down here for the short period of time it lasted. You could probably bank on it for a week and half there in December that for every dude up north who had a double digit morning, there was a guy in the south jersey surf who landed a single fish that could eat their fish for breakfast...well maybe not for every guy up north but you get the idea. Since junkmansk posted it up, let's use his fish for example - how many 50's were taken off the sand up north this fall? How many 20's even?? I would take my chances with that in Cape May County any day of the week over the metal bite, not to mention there was a good chance that I wouldn’t run into a single soul all night. Sometimes I would probably take that over anything...

I don't want this to be deceiving. My fall sucked, and my falls have sucked for the past few years. I didn't stack bass on the beach this fall and I didn’t even catch bass out front for the front end of the fall, but I did catch some fish and the guys who were able to put more time in showed me up. My point is that I find it hard to complain, at least I had shots at real stripers off the beach this fall, and, I would still take my chances in Cape May County whenever a similar bite develops....maybe next time I just will not waste the first half of my fall chasing phantoms or fishing the backwaters…..hell I'm sure there was even a large bite in the surf up north that I didn't know about along with everyone else tossing metals.....that is the fun of all this

Thanks for the invite...

The only waves of fish? I experienced were sharks and skates....Tons of them!

Ughh sharks.....I have some "sick days" circled on the calendar back home for the spring. I'll shoot you an email later on, or early next week, or sometime before the spring with those dates haha.

I kind of regret chiming in on this thread, because it is starting to look like I think I know what I am talking about when I really don’t and I know I don’t. I just conjure things up in my head to make excuses for doing what I do out there. Hell, if I have a slam dead plug bite and I am feeling a little lazy, it is really easy to convince myself to the benefits of setting up on a beach somewhere with a bucket of clams….

RyanF

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Dont sell yourself short Ryan.....I saw the gear you lug around, for someone that does not know much....it looks like you have all the right stuff to get it done.....me I dont know chit about getting them on the beach, but I am going to clam the hell out of a few stretches of cape may beach front in the spring once the fish start dumping out of the river and bay.

As for the fall run......the fish are off shore and its no secret, there are STILL fish on the bank and further off......hell there has been a steady push of fish out there since the end of october, the bass always push through there and thats nothing new.....I assume the bait has not been present inshore for them to hug the coast from AC on down.

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
Ryan F

You are right about that, when someone mentions fishing CM area I automatically think of CM beach front or the point and you are also right about the fact that we get the bigger bass down this end if I caught 10 keepers this fall, 8 of them were over 40". We met a couple of years ago on a jetty, we spoke for a moment and you left me some clams. Most of my fish this fall were caught about 500 yds north of there by the jetty. It is funny when I fish the surf, I always want to catch fish but it does not bother me if I do not catch anything because I enjoy the beach, but when I stay up all night and fish the back waters and do not catch anything it aggravates the hell out of me

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
You are right about that, when someone mentions fishing CM area I automatically think of CM beach front or the point and you are also right about the fact that we get the bigger bass down this end if I caught 10 keepers this fall, 8 of them were over 40". We met a couple of years ago on a jetty, we spoke for a moment and you left me some clams. Most of my fish this fall were caught about 500 yds north of there by the jetty. It is funny when I fish the surf, I always want to catch fish but it does not bother me if I do not catch anything because I enjoy the beach, but when I stay up all night and fish the back waters and do not catch anything it aggravates the hell out of me
Yeah Fred I remember running into ya out there, surprised I haven't bounced into ya again. And I agree on all counts, especially about taking the skunk on the beach. It is still a special thing, and the only way the backwaters come close is if you trek out onto a bank in the middle of the night. I find it tougher each year to fish anywhere that I don't need waders or korkers and a headlamp.

RyanF

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I need at least five to ten CM/CMP surf fishermen to share their results for a research project, I am working on. Only the whole truth and nothing but the truth!

Would any of you that have regularly fished CM/CMP be willing to meet with the ACOE's? Old timers needed...
Come on guys, step up. ACOE is interested in talking to us mid-February.

·
Banned users
6,339 Posts
if it has any chance at all to help or improve fishing in the CM & CMP area you can count on me:thumbsup: It certainlly can't hurt, hopefully some of the CM fishermen will step up

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Come on guys, step up. ACOE is interested in talking to us mid-February.
Let's get to the bottom of this, what is this all about? I am down to talk to anybody if I think it is for the better of the fishing community as a whole.

Research project for the ACOE...I find it hard to believe that the ACOE cares how many striped bass were landed down there, so what is the bottom line here? Are you trying to imply that beach replenishment has negative ecological impacts on the coastline based soley on striped bass landings? That doesn't sound like proper research???

What is the purpose of this meeting, how did it come about, and why does the ACOE give a crap about a handful of smelly fishermen??

RyanF

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Opportunity to Tell Your Story

Let's get to the bottom of this, what is this all about?

What is the purpose of this meeting, how did it come about, and why does the ACOE give a crap about a handful of smelly fishermen??

RyanF
The idea of meeting with the ACOE is to discuss the possibilities of improving the CM/CMP fisheries by reviewing beach replenishment practices that have been used over the years in CM & CMP.

The discussion is limited to Cape May & Cape May Point. In the attempt to gain the cooperation of the ACOE in conserving, managing and
preserving the fishery, I have been invited them to sit down with a small group of CM/CMP surf fishermen to discuss potential solutions
involving "seeding" the areas affected by beach replenishment and other
reasonable changes in technique in an effort to restore the fishery to its former glory. (Refer to the thread on Beach Replenishment)

One observation that seems to be commonly reported about CM/CMP is the absence of large numbers of baitfish. Without adequate prey and forage, the gamefish that we love to catch will find it elsewhere.

Is there a correlation between a change in fish popuations and beach replenishments?

The sampling of striper catches may shed a little more light on the long term changes to the fishery that have occurred over 40-50 years. More importantly, it is the antedoctal evidence (the stories the old timers can tell us about fishing in Cape May & Cape May Point) that need to be heard.

I am hoping that a handful of men will paint for us a picture of those glory days...Maybe we just might learn something.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The idea of meeting with the ACOE is to discuss the possibilities of improving the CM/CMP fisheries by reviewing beach replenishment practices that have been used over the years in CM & CMP.

The discussion is limited to Cape May & Cape May Point. In the attempt to gain the cooperation of the ACOE in conserving, managing and
preserving the fishery, I have been invited them to sit down with a small group of CM/CMP surf fishermen to discuss potential solutions
involving "seeding" the areas affected by beach replenishment and other
reasonable changes in technique in an effort to restore the fishery to its former glory. (Refer to the thread on Beach Replenishment)

One observation that seems to be commonly reported about CM/CMP is the absence of large numbers of baitfish. Without adequate prey and forage, the gamefish that we love to catch will find it elsewhere.

Is there a correlation between a change in fish popuations and beach replenishments?

The sampling of striper catches may shed a little more light on the long term changes to the fishery that have occurred over 40-50 years. More importantly, it is the antedoctal evidence (the stories the old timers can tell us about fishing in Cape May & Cape May Point) that need to be heard.

I am hoping that a handful of men will paint for us a picture of those glory days...Maybe we just might learn something.
I applaud the effort and would be more than willing to help if this turns out to be something worthwhile. Do you know someone in the ACOE? How did this meeting come up? When is the meeting?

Do you have info on "seeding" or is this a solution you conjured up? Is this something that has been done anywhere else as an offest? Remember, up and down the Jersey coast there used to be nothing but sand. No jetties, no rocks, no concrete ships. What are we planning to seed with? Natural jetties?? Also remember that there are a lot more factors involved than beach replenishment. There needs to be science, there needs to be some groups with a bit of clout on board, it is a pipe dream to think a few fisherman are going to get across to the ACOE. Right?

You have to pardon me, I am just having trouble figuring out where all this came from. If you set up a meeting with ACOE and they actually care about whether the habitat is suitable for gamefish rather than beach goers, I would kiss your feet and do anything I could. Also, if that is the case I would probably want to see some groups involved, some science involved. When is this meeting? Why does not a single person know about it except for you? As much as I respect the old timers, on the beach and anywhere else, actually getting something to change involves a helluva lot more backbone than a few old timers.

More importantly, once the old timers paint a picture of the glory days, what kind of evidence or science do you have to correlate any downturns over 30-40 years to beach replenishment?

I am not trying to rain on your parade bro, I applaud you, and I am trying to play devil's advocate in a productive fashion. I am just confused..

I just don't see how this year especially spring off the beach stunk??
We really have no idea, we were not even sperm swimming in a testicle 30-40 years ago

RyanF

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pipe Dream or Nightmare?

More importantly, once the old timers paint a picture of the glory days, what kind of evidence or science do you have to correlate any downturns over 30-40 years to beach replenishment?

RyanF
The science needs to be developed.... Hopefully, the meeting in mid-February (more details to follow) with the ACOE will spark the scientific inquiry and a review of the techniques employed in beach replenishment projects.

In 1972 (I was 22 years old then), the waters around Cape May and Cape May Point were teeming with schools of weakfish so thick at times you could almost walk on their backs. It was nothing to catch a weakfish (aka a tiderunner) as long as your arm cast after cast. In those glory days, I took it all for granted.

In 2012, in those same waters, fishermen are lucky to catch a single 13" spike.

Can you blame the change on beach replenishment? Probably not...

The better question might be, What can be done today to preserve the fishery for tomorrow?

So, what are you personally doing to conserve, manage, and preserve
fishing for your tomorrows?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The science needs to be developed.... Hopefully, the meeting in mid-February (more details to follow) with the ACOE will spark the scientific inquiry and a review of the techniques employed in beach replenishment projects.

In 1972 (I was 22 years old then), the waters around Cape May and Cape May Point were teeming with schools of weakfish so thick at times you could almost walk on their backs. It was nothing to catch a weakfish (aka a tiderunner) as long as your arm cast after cast. In those glory days, I took it all for granted.

In 2012, in those same waters, fishermen are lucky to catch a single 13" spike.

Can you blame the change on beach replenishment? Probably not...

The better question might be, What can be done today to preserve the fishery for tomorrow?

So, what are you personally doing to conserve, manage, and preserve
fishing for your tomorrows?
Is this a formal meeting? Listen I was just trying to be helpful here, I applaud your efforts and am always willing to do anything to help the future of our resources and our fishermen. I think I have gotten my points across, so I will just stop being a d*ck now.

As far as what I do personally, I try to stay involved and fight for fisherman. But, yes, I could probably be doing more.

RyanF

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Is this a formal meeting?

As far as what I do personally, I try to stay involved and fight for fisherman. But, yes, I could probably be doing more.

RyanF
Yes, it is a formal meeting, about as formal as a small group of fishermen can get. The ACOE have accepted the invitation and I am waiting for their confirmation of a suitable date and time. I'll be happy to let you know as soon as I can get the meeting details nailed down.

So far, excluding myself, only one "old timer" has offered to tell his story of fishing at Cape May & Cape May Point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.