BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post here very often, but I got to thinking. They are getting slammed down there again in South Jersey. If your pit is filled with snow and your scuppers get ice dammed, it can get ugly whether you are in or out of the water. Even worse, if there is a fast melt or heavy rain following all of the ice & snow. Its just a thought.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Adam, Does it help covering your engines with a tarp or canvas for a little extra added protection?
Engines won't be effected, but if you don't clear the ice dams on the scuppers and it rains hard you'll be in for a bad issue. I dug the cockpit out as best I could, but didn't have anything to bust the scupper ice without damaging the gelcoat. Gotta take a hair dryer back with me as soon as the weather eases up.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
On Monday lots of big boats in the water at SJ were listing to the north side under the weight of ice and snow. They were also sitting low in the water with exhausts and other outlets now potentially below WL. If your in-water boat has not been dug out since Saturday's storm, I can only wish you the best of luck through this one.

On land, I'm sure that point loads will be extreme on blocked boats or trailers may buckle under the added weight. There is a sailboat on Rt47 across from WaWa in D'ville that is pointing skyward. I would at least put some blocks under the transom if you're on a trailer.

Outrigger destruction in CM was widespread. Mine didn't snap, but are now bent sideways from the wind:eek:. It appeared that the boats with bows facing toward the E-NE had more rigger damage than those facing westerly. Maybe the wind helped hold them up against the ice weight as opposed to pushing them down harder:huh:.

If anyone is in the CM / WW area right now and can let us know if heavy ice is accumulating again, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck to all!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Make sure the drain plug is clear as well. If the scuppers are clogged and the deck leaks or fails, the water is going into the bilge. If the drain plug is iced, then what. No trying to be an alarmist. Just trying to think about what can happen.

Hey Joe Sullivan- Send me the check for the risk reduction & loss control services. LOL

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Best to get a Fisher Canvas...keeps her nice and dry....:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Good advice:thumbsup:. I did check a few Fisher covered boats on Monday at Utsch's and all appeared to be holding up OK, with maybe a little sag under the weight of ice. NONE were blown off that I could see. Shrink wrapped boats also appeared to be fine as most of the snow and ice slid off by Monday.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
just came back from the Avalon,SH area.the morning rain turned to sleet and snow,trees are really getting covered.I think this storm will have more ice damage.Winds are building as well.

Also just talked to the claims dept for my boat ins,regarding my bent outriggers,not sure on how my policy was written yet but was told that alot of policies don't cover ice and snow damage

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Bilge is clean and drain is clear. Shoveled the lion's share of snow out of my boat. Will be back as soon as weather clears to clear the rest. I am on a nearly full length wooden cradle so that offers considerably better support than blocking.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Good advice:thumbsup:. I did check a few Fisher covered boats on Monday at Utsch's and all appeared to be holding up OK, with maybe a little sag under the weight of ice. NONE were blown off that I could see. Shrink wrapped boats also appeared to be fine as most of the snow and ice slid off by Monday.
Steve,

Did you get a look at my boat??? Frank said it looked OK from the bridge, but, he did not get into the marina for a close look.

--- Tim

·
Registered
838 Posts
hey adam can ya give me an estimate of how much slop u have accumulated in the past two days as far as rain snow and mix. I also have shoveled all the previous snow fall out of the boat but now im wondering how much more has accumulated.
thanks fred

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Steve,

Did you get a look at my boat??? Frank said it looked OK from the bridge, but, he did not get into the marina for a close look.

--- Tim
Hi Tim!

I made it up to the big lot entrance where it was blocked with snow piles. I didn't look directly at your boat, but I also didn't notice many busted riggers on that back row of boats along the harbor. As I mentioned before, I think you are facing the right direction to avoid the worst rigger damage.

I'm gonna try to make it back down there tomorrow and will take another look for you. About how far down the row are you located?

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
hey adam can ya give me an estimate of how much slop u have accumulated in the past two days as far as rain snow and mix. I also have shoveled all the previous snow fall out of the boat but now im wondering how much more has accumulated.
thanks fred
Fred, not as bad as the last storm as far as snow accumulation. Winds have been worse. If you can get down and clear her out before a good rain, she'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Mine is sitting out in the open an it is so damn windy down there I was suprised there wasnt more snow in it...I checked on it Monday night...Looked Good!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Checked on the Princess this afternoon she was covered with more than a foot and half of wet heavy snow.

Cleared the snow off the winter covers, checked inside the cabin, everything looked good. Gave her a big hug and a kiss and headed back to the parking lot where I spent the better part of 45 min stuck in the snow. Thought I was spending the night but sacrificed my floor mats in order to get out. Can’t wait till spring.... this snow Sh!t is starting to get on my nerves!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi Tim!

I made it up to the big lot entrance where it was blocked with snow piles. I didn't look directly at your boat, but I also didn't notice many busted riggers on that back row of boats along the harbor. As I mentioned before, I think you are facing the right direction to avoid the worst rigger damage.

I'm gonna try to make it back down there tomorrow and will take another look for you. About how far down the row are you located?
I'm about 1/3 of the way down the back row from the front of the marina. I have a Fischer cover on the boat that covers the deck house/cabin and back (not the bow). Guess its close to being inline with "B" dock.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Tim,

Not sure if I'll make it down today, but will definitely be there by Saturday. I'll take a look as soon as I get there.

Steve

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.