BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I had the good fortune of being invited to fish with Kil Song and his friends aboard Walsh's - near Boston.

One of the first guys I meet, is Capt. Dom, he tells me he's a reader of the Offshore Forum, and proceeds to help me, as this was my first
Cod ( angling) trip to the Banks off of a Boston.

Besides discussing jigging tips ( we don't use bait) he hooked me up with several of his Purple Teaser Grubbs which produced Cod for me all day long.

Since we had a 40 mile run, and we were coffeed up, Dom and I compared notes and we spoke of his charter business in Newport RI.

Capt Dom, loves to Shark fish and they have plenty of good Sharking up that way each summer. Besides Striped Bass, he fishes for Scup, Squid,
Cod - Haddock and Fluke. ( inshore)

He also is real into jigging Tuna and Swordfish, Yep -he had Kil out and Kil Song did catch several Swordfish at night while jigging with Dom.

He has since become an advertiser here, and I am looking forward to fishing with him again - real soon, for Squid. I also want to do a Haddock trip on Stellwagen Banks as well.

Here is the link to Capt Dom's site, and I wanted to extend him a personal welcome aboard the Bass Barn.com
http://www.coastalcharterssportfishing.com/

Captn Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Cap

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the welcome, glad to be a part of this fine site. I had lurked here for some time, but didn't post as it would have been difficult to disguise what I do for a living, and not fair to promote myself without being a sponsor.

Now that I am a sponsor, I can shamelessly and fully "endear" myself to the membership here...;)

For those of you who do not know me from other sites or on the water, I am a hardcore angler, who enjoys getting like minded guys into fish. My specialty is Big pelagics, on light tackle from 2 run and gun CC's; A Contender 28 open with twin 225's and a sweet custom built Ray Hunt also with twin 225's. Both boats are super fast, and awesome platforms for chasing tuna, billfish, and sharks from the nearshore areas out to the canyons. I also am a pretty decent togger, and RI has some amazing tog fishing to be had all through late Oct. into early Dec.

When not getting others into fish, my passion is of course chasing more fish.:cool: I spend the winters jigging like a fool for cod, haddock, pollock, etc. and as well as trying to get down to NJ for sea bass from time to time.

I hope to contribute to this site with some great reports on the fishing here in my backyard, and hope that I can get some of you to venture up and give me a shot at getting you into some serious fishing. I pride myself on being the first boat out on the grounds, and always the last to leave. Attached a few pictures for your enjoyment...

Respectfully,

Dom

View attachment 7493

View attachment 7494

View attachment 7495

View attachment 7496

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
Dom, nice to see you here.
I hate to disclose hot spots on the internet, but I have to admit RI water is one of the best on the East Coast for big fluke and blackfish.
My friend who lives in Queen, NY went up to France Fleet out of Point Judith, RI over 50 times for fluking and blackfishing last year. It tells you how good fishing is there.
I fished with Capt Dom for fluking in local RI water, to Block Island , Elizabeth Islands and Norman's in search of trophy fluke.
Blackfishing in the fall is outrageous only 15 - 20 minutes ride from the dock. As he plan to fish squid out of Hyannis, MA this spring, I booked 10 day straight from May 1. :) If you have never fished squid, I higly recommend the trip. How good squid fishing is ? You can fill a 100 QT cooled with squid when they bite hot. It is not night time fishing.

From June, Dom told me he would bring his boat to Cape Cod Bay for popping and jigging for bluefin tuna. Popping tuna is one of the most exciting fishing. I had my first bluefin tuna on poppers with Capt. Dom and I intend to go up there once every week starting mid June.
You can see unforgettable sights of school of whales off Chatham, Cape Cod. As tuna are under feeding whale, you got to find whale, to fing tuna.
He is a charter boat captain, but most of all he is a hardcore fisherman. He wants to go where fish are. I can guarantee he never fool around as he wants to catch fish and he wants customers to catch fish. He doesn't fish with clock.
Sometimes I had to beg him to go home. :)
If you guys follow my fishing reports, you know I don't go with any captains. :)

·
Registered
451 Posts
welcome aboard Dom good to have you here. The season is almost here my friend lets get those rods bending soon.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Capt Dom,
Yes, I am ready to rock and roll for some Haddock, when they show.

I see you can post pictures, they add real impact especially with pictures of Kil:cool: I do know pleny of Philadelphia folks here vacation up in Newport area, so I would be happy to recommend any one of them to fish with you.

I'll keep in touch with you this summer when the Marlin Fishing here begins, I am still not sure if the 57' Bertram I run will be up here this summer or not. I always have a ride here including my 28' Pursuit or a 29' Regulator ( new one)

I got the 6 man Solas Life raft and Solas Epirb, so I will take the Pursuit anywhere. She is seaworthy as the vessel has over 170 trips logged to canyons here

I got to get you out there to see if we can snag you a big Mama - Blue Marlin
you reel, - I'll drive the boat. Soley targeted, we should have a decent chance of seeing something.

Captn Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks again...

Capt. Joe,

I will definitely take you up on that offer, I have always wanted to fish the western canyons I can't really run to in my vessels. I did make it to the Hudson twice last year, but the fuel bills will prevent that this year. I have a few blue girls under my belt, but not BIG MAMMA. Got a nice big black in PV last year, man can those marlin pull!:eek: I usually am focusing on tuna, as I am a full blown tuna junkie....

I love fishing with Kil, its always a good time, and man can that guy catch em up!!

A few more Kil shots, from a 5 swordy night! out at the Dip in September.

View attachment 7499

View attachment 7500

View attachment 7501

View attachment 7502

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
KSONG said:
From June, Dom told me he would bring his boat to Cape Cod Bay for popping and jigging for bluefin tuna. Popping tuna is one of the most exciting fishing. I had my first bluefin tuna on poppers with Capt. Dom and I intend to go up there once every week starting mid June.
You can see unforgettable sights of school of whales off Chatham, Cape Cod. As tuna are under feeding whale, you got to find whale, to fing tuna.
He is a charter boat captain, but most of all he is a hardcore fisherman. He wants to go where fish are. I can guarantee he never fool around as he wants to catch fish and he wants customers to catch fish. He doesn't fish with clock.
Sometimes I had to beg him to go home. :)
If you guys follow my fishing reports, you know I don't go with any captains. :)
Kil, please let me know when you pop for BFT this year. It is one of my fishing dreams to hook into a tuna on a popper :) Capt. Dom, you sure as hell sound like my kind of fisherman! Welcome to the barn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
paul708 said:
capt Dom..welcome..nice seeing you here
Hey Paul, twice in the same week, I like it!!:cool:

I will be in touch soon on those jigging sticks, I already know exactly what I want...I will see what kil thinks for the spinners, I gotta play with a few in early June before I decide though...what is the lead time on your rods?

·
Registered
7,225 Posts
JerseyBrian said:
Kil, please let me know when you pop for BFT this year. It is one of my fishing dreams to hook into a tuna on a popper :) Capt. Dom, you sure as hell sound like my kind of fisherman! Welcome to the barn.
Popping tuna is pretty new here, but it is a blast.
When bluefin arrives at Cape Cod Bay, I let you know.
I also plan to fish out of Texas for yellowfin popping. The popular trip is 52 hour trip on the Big E out of Freeport, TX. I higly recommend the trips as tuna popping is almost guaranteed on the trips.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
CaptDom said:
Hey Paul, twice in the same week, I like it!!:cool:

I will be in touch soon on those jigging sticks, I already know exactly what I want...I will see what kil thinks for the spinners, I gotta play with a few in early June before I decide though...what is the lead time on your rods?
Hey. i am following you..i LOVE that ride:D yeah you did sound like you know what a good stick is..i am running about 3-4 weeks for rods..dont forget to think about that "special" poppin rod i sent you the "unique" info. talk to you soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts