BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm posting this report on behalf of Capt Mark DeBlasio as he is traveling to the LI for the canyon runner seminar.

We just got in from our final Florida trip this winter on the Blue Runner and the highlight of our winter season after catching 38 swords upto 510 lbs in 2 months was our last one a 350 lb sword 89 inches 54 inch girth that Mark himself caught on an avet 30/02 with 80 lb test. The fish followed a lady fish from 500 feet down and continued to circle the boat in the lights before finally eating a squid pitch bait on naturally the smallest rod available. 3 hours later I had the shot to dart the sword and boat it. Details, photos and video of this fish and our winter summary will follow from mark after his Canyon Runner seminar.

On a personal note I can honestly say Mark is the most intuitive creative fisherman I have ever had the opportunity to fish with in my life. It's took us some time in fl to figure out on how to get baits down upto 1500 feet in the current, deal with all the sharp teeth down here and high speed trolling, but when we did it was game on and we never looked back.

This winter season was by far the most enjoyable relaxing consistent fishing I've ever had thanks to Mark for his determination and putting in the time as he does every day on Canyon Runner when he is charter fishing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
swords

Great catch Joe; You sure know how to break in the new boat the right way; Frasco filled me in on the winter fishing; Hopefully can get a trip in with you on the new ride this summer;

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Congrats!!! That is a hell of a lot of swords!!! Nice work and great report...:thumbsup::cheers:

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Nice Sword! :bow:

Kevin: How are you comming with that Sword Rod? Looking at this one I need to get back in the game quick! The Swords that I have caught this winter look downright Anorexic next to that one :eek:
I'll have it for the end of next week. Lets hope you catch a few big fish with it.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Congrats gents!

I drool over that boat everytime I go over the bridge in the summer here local.. All the best!

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Wow that's a beautifull sword, congradulations, that's impressive especially on the 30lb set-up, I love the Avets. You said Calstar 40-80lb rod, are you guys useing a glass boomer series or the Grafighter, and what length?
I keep wondering if any of the boats are going to try deep drop day swordfishing up here in the NE, you guys ever consider it? Thanks alot for shareing with us.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts